‹ Capsulize Captaincy ›
Meanings and phrases
- an officer holding a rank below a major but above a lieutenant
- the naval officer in command of a military ship; skipper
- a policeman in charge of a precinct; police captain; police chief
- an officer who is licensed to command a merchant ship; master; sea captain; skipper
- the leader of a group of people; chieftain
- the pilot in charge of an airship; senior pilot
- a dining-room attendant who is in charge of the waiters and the seating of customers; headwaiter; maitre d'hotel; maitre d'
- be the captain of a sports team
- British admiral; was captain of the H.M.S. Bounty in 1789 when part of the crew mutinied and set him afloat in an open boat; a few weeks later he arrived safely in Timor 4,000 miles away (1754-1817); Bligh; William Bligh
- United States explorer who accompanied Peary's expedition to the North Pole and who led many other Arctic trips (1875-1946); Bartlett; Robert Bartlett; Robert Abram Bartlett
- English navigator who claimed the east coast of Australia for Britain and discovered several Pacific islands (1728-1779); Cook; James Cook; Captain James Cook
- the cardinal number that is the sum of five and one; six; 6; VI; sixer; sise; half a dozen; sextet; sestet; sextuplet; hexad
Captain Horatio Hornblower
- a fictional English admiral during the Napoleonic Wars in novels written by C. S. Forester; Horatio Hornblower
Captain James Cook
- English navigator who claimed the east coast of Australia for Britain and discovered several Pacific islands (1728-1779); Cook; James Cook; Captain Cook
Captain John Smith
- English explorer who helped found the colony at Jamestown, Virginia; was said to have been saved by Pocahontas (1580-1631); Smith; John Smith
- Scottish sea captain who was hired to protect British shipping in the Indian Ocean and then was accused of piracy and hanged (1645-1701); Kidd; William Kidd
- the supervisor of bellboys in a hotel
captain 's chair
- a wooden armchair with a saddle seat and a low back that has vertical spindles
- the captain of a flagship
- He also took part in the Battle of New Orleans; but in 1819 a quarrel with his flag captain led to his leaving the service.
- Anderberg served as flag captain in the Coastal Fleet from 1941 to 1943 and he was promoted to captain ("kommendör") in 1942.
- Beatty famously turned to his flag captain, saying "Chatfield, there seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today."
- a commissioned officer (especially one in the Royal Air Force) equivalent in rank to a colonel in the army
- He was promoted to group captain on 1 July 1958.
- Thus his proper rank would probably be that of group captain.
- As group captain, Read commanded No.
- a policeman in charge of a precinct; captain; police chief
- 37 year police captain, Charles Austin, believed paranormal activity occurred in the house.
- Asencio served in the United States Army Reserve and later went on to become a police captain.
- He is Gwen Stacy's father and a former police captain from the New York City Police Department.
- an officer who is licensed to command a merchant ship; master; captain; skipper
- His father was a schoolteacher and former sea captain.
- He has the appearance and personality of a sea captain.
- His father was a sea captain from Sweden.
- In his senior year Marlowe was voted team captain.
- In , he was named the Tacoma Rainiers team captain.
- His teammates chose him to be their team captain.
- He received the rank of captain in February 1865.
- In 1896 he was promoted to the rank of captain.
- Carlin rose to the rank of captain in the Regular Army.
- He was promoted to captain on December 13, 1861.
- He was promoted to captain on November 1, 1806.
- He was promoted to captain in 1915 and major in 1929.
- In July 2004, Westwood was appointed club captain.
- He was club captain during his time with the club.
- He was club captain at Sussex in the 1885 season.
- McCarthy was appointed captain of the team in 1969.
- He was appointed captain of police July 21, 1903.
- Charles Bennett was appointed captain of the company.
- He is the former captain of the Mumbai Champs.
- She is the former captain for the Australian women's sevens team.
- She is the former captain of the Nepalese women's national football team.
- In 2005, Varitek was named captain of the Red Sox.
- Pejčić was named captain of FK Radnički Niš.
- He was named captain in the local militia in the same year.
- In 1917, he became captain of the battleship .
- On 15 September 1880 he became captain of HMS "Carysfort".
- She soon became captain of the Angel City Hollywood Scarlets.
- He served as captain on numerous occasions.
- He served as captain for the football club.
- He served as captain in the local militia.
- In June 2009 Allister Gall was named the new captain.
- Menk was also appointed as the new captain of the team.
- Nitish Rana was appointed as the new captain of the team.
- The team's first captain in an official match was Jani Kosta.
- The Fog Devils first captain was Newfoundlander Scott Brophy.
- Vincent Brooks became the first African-American first captain in 1980.
- In the autumn of 2008 he was made captain of Esbjerg fB.
- Baloy was also made captain in Grêmio despite his youth.
- He was then made captain of the aircraft carrier followed by .
- He was club captain during his time with the club.
- He was promptly promoted to the rank of captain during 1943.
- Richard served in his father's army as a captain during the baronial revolt.
- "Vulture"s captain at the time was Andrew Sutherland.
- For her second voyage, Douglas was still "Queen"s captain.
- On 8 March, "Batavia"s captain, cook, and steward again recaptured her.
- Phaneuf was named an alternate captain of the Senators at the beginning of the 2016–17 season.
- Prior to the start of the 2007–08 season, Higgins was named an alternate captain for the Canadiens.
- He was alternate captain of the 1992 Fredericton Canadiens that won the AHL regular season championship.
- He became a captain at Air France in 1936.
- He also became a captain from 2011.
- When Army nurses were given relative rank in 1920, she became a captain.
- He was named team captain of the 97-98 squad.
- In 2017, Echevarria was named team captain.
- Upon his return to juniors, Hayton was named team captain.
- His grandfather was ship captain and politician James A.
- Constantine soon distinguished himself as a fire ship captain.
- Mukundan (Arun Kumar) is an Indian ship captain who lives in Rameshwaram.
- Phil Waugh was subsequently named as captain.
- Players marked (c) were named as captain for their national squad.
- On January 28, 2016, Cirelli was named as captain of the Generals.
- He was retained by Kings for the 2020 season and was appointed as vice captain.
- In October 2018, he moved to Al-Hilal Club, having previously been vice captain at Akwa United.
- Wayamba Royal vice captain Tarindra Ekanayake captured a five wicket haul to register this historic win.
- He was named captain general in 1527.
- Triadan Gritti was appointed as Venetian captain general instead of Pietro Mocenigo.
- At the same time he served as interim governor and captain general of Nuevo Reino de Granada.
- Keizur was elected captain of the company.
- Jerry Dalrymple was elected captain.
- Loyd Roberts was elected captain.
- In the Canadian Army, the rank insignia of an army captain is three pips.
- Both brothers were supporters of the unjustly accused French army captain, Alfred Dreyfus.
- Next day a new clash started near the airport where 5 ISIS militants were killed and an army captain was killed.
- On 7 June Cator received promotion to post captain.
- Marshall received promotion to post captain on 7 June 1814.
- The action resulted in a promotion to post captain for Andrew.
- "Fantome" took command as acting captain.
- In 1916 he was promoted to lieutenant and subsequently acting captain.
- Cranston was appointed captain of Lancashire in 1947, replacing acting captain Jack Fallows.
- Lieutenant Wilburn was rewarded with a promotion to captain.
- He returned home in November 1776, and asked his mentor van de Perre to obtain a promotion to captain for him.
- Following promotion to captain, he went to sea in as prospective commander of a mid-Pacific submarine wolf pack.
- He was promoted captain on 31 December 1956.
- He was promoted captain in July 1901.
- For his services he was promoted captain in 1855 and awarded the C.B.
- In 2017, he became the captain of the national team, which he is still today.
- Paulomi became the captain and decided to go 1st, followed by Palak and Nauman.
- He moved back to Norway in 2004 to join FC Lyn Oslo, where he became the captain.
- He was promoted to first lieutenant in May 1917, and temporary captain in August.
- He was made Rangers temporary captain, with the absence of formal club captain David Weir for the first part of the 2011–12 season.
- Showrunner/EP Warren Leight said of Baldwin's character, "We have a temporary captain coming in, Adam Baldwin, and he’s replacing Cragen because Cragen is not fit for duty at the moment.
- He is the current captain of PSL team Karachi Kings.
- She is the current captain of the New Zealand women's sevens team.
- He continues to play minor matches for Montserrat and is the current captain of the team.