‹ Humber Humblebee ›
Meanings and phrases
- low or inferior in station or quality; low; lowly; modest; small
- marked by meekness or modesty; not arrogant or prideful; - B.K.Malinowski
- of low birth or station (`base' is archaic in this sense); base; baseborn; lowly
- used of unskilled work (especially domestic work); menial; lowly
- cause to be unpretentious
- cause to feel shame; hurt the pride of; humiliate; mortify; chagrin; abase
- prostrate or semi-erect subshrub of tropical America, and Australia; heavily armed with recurved thorns and having sensitive soft grey-green leaflets that fold and droop at night or when touched or cooled; sensitive plant; touch-me-not; shame plant; live-and-die; action plant; Mimosa pudica
- His family was of humble beginnings but very close.
- The Dalai Lama lineage started from humble beginnings.
- College football in Arkansas began from humble beginnings.
- The public education system started from humble origins.
- Teichelmann came from humble origins.
- He had the reputation there of appointing men of humble origins to positions of authority.