‹ Rates Rathole ›
Meanings and phrases
- on the contrary; instead
- to some (great or small) extent; kind of; kinda; sort of
- more readily or willingly; preferably; sooner
- to a degree (not used with a negative); quite
- when asking a question rather than just "Vous parlez français ?"
- He began to pick his combinations rather than just throw a flurry.
- It also taught her that art was a true vocation rather than just a hobby.
- when producing new sentences rather than simply reading a prepared text.
- At that time, the Japanese beheaded them rather than simply refusing them.
- B1G1 focuses on the impact of giving on people's lives rather than simply amounts donated.
- It has a high sound and is rather large to hold.
- A rather large man by the name of Don Quixote.
- "It was a rather large, irregular wound," Woodard said.
- Why is development so externally driven rather than having an internal basis?
- This means that rather than having a grid of straight lines, the grid instead has curvature.
- Existing printing presses can be used to create the prints rather than having to create a new one.
- The bug was publicly disclosed on Twitter, rather than through proper bug bounty programs.
- The Debian project handles security through public disclosure rather than through obscurity.
- One can see that entropy was discovered through mathematics rather than through laboratory results.
- This schedules processes internally rather than using the Linux facilities.
- It allows a user to navigate a menu hierarchy of commands, rather than using the command line.
- When lecturing, he would write proofs in chalk on a blackboard rather than using overhead foils.
- Dolphins have rather small, unidentifiable spouts.
- Surilis are rather small, slimly built primates.
- The shell is rather small, ovate, thick and globular.
- In all others, the scene is rather more conceptual.
- The eyes consist of twelve stemmata, which are rather more rounded in early instars.
- The 25-year-old Browning, giving evidence on 2 July 1862, gave a rather more radical viewpoint.
- The color of pure CuOH is yellow or orange-yellow, but it usually appears rather dark red because of impurities.
- Like David Thomson’s "Biographical Dictionary of Film" or, indeed, Philip Rees’s non-fictional "Biographical Dictionary of the Extreme Right", "Nazi Literature" is not a book to read straight through, but rather to dip into whenever the mood (in this case a rather dark, antisocial mood) takes you."
- Other researchers have produced rather different analyses.
- Hicks's own account of the origins of the paper is rather different.
- It is rather different from that spoken in the northern part of Ningxia.
- And most of the time, it's his inner turmoil that beckons you in, rather than merely pushing you out."
- Authors were trying to find a distinctly Canadian voice, rather than merely emulating British or American writers.
- This suggests that the programme of images was newly devised for this volume, rather than merely copying an earlier work.
- Bellgrove and Irma thus begin a rather unusual romance.
- Tẹẹ includes a rather unusual series of voiceless sonorants.
- Additionally, Leonarda uses refrains in a rather unusual way.
- The five pairs of gill slits are rather short.
- The climate is known to change drastically in rather short distances.
- The nasal bones are rather short and widely spaced from the premaxillae.
- Each flower is carried by a rather long pedicel.
- The maxilla was tall and bore at least eleven rather long teeth.
- The fur is rather long and lax.
- They are rather similar to those of wild strawberries.
- This species is rather similar to "Grapholita caecana".
- The basic idea of the story is rather similar to "The Gods Themselves".
- The song is about finding God rather than relying on his own strength.
- The program is demand-responsive rather than relying on supply-side targeting of the poor.
- It is funded from subscription fees paid by telemarketers, rather than relying on fees by end citizens.
- This Giro was also the first to feature two intermediate sprints per road stage, rather than only one.
- Because Khalatse is about 400 metres lower than Leh, two crops can be grown each year rather than only one.
- Unemployment continued falling, powered by growing industrial production and rising GDP, rather than only seasonal changes from tourism.
- Among them was one of rather low position with a bandaged eye.
- Solubilities are generally rather low, like 8 g/L for C in carbon disulfide.
- The metallicity of Sextans B is rather low, with a value of approximately Z = 0.001.
- Mainly concerned with geometry and symmetry rather than individual expression.
- Galen proposed organs within the body to be responsible for specific functions, rather than individual parts.
- Even the Ruhlmann firm resorted to producing pieces of furniture in series, rather than individual hand-made items.
- Investigators believed that he would inform on suppliers rather than risk ruining a successful music career.
- After consultations with his doctors the decision was made for McAllister to retire rather than risk long-term damage to his body.
- This convinced Brueys that rather than risk an evening battle in confined waters, the British were planning to wait for the following day.
- Bangladeshi food is served by course rather than all at once.
- The exams are given at the end of the course, rather than all in the spring of the student's 11th grade year.
- Lundy left town rather than face trial; Greer was acquitted.
- Barley resigned rather than face Armstrong in a primary election.
- On April 6, Al-Jarallah resigned rather than face the no-confidence vote.
- The defenders fled to mountains rather than trying to defend the town.
- He failed to make the club the following Spring, and retired rather than trying to latch on with a new team.
- Jujutsu expresses the philosophy of yielding to an opponent's force rather than trying to oppose force with force.
- Generally, pups are born rather quickly in the breeding season.
- The changes rather quickly resulted in a noticeable increase in prosperity.
- After attaining winds of hurricane-force, Beni strengthened rather quickly.
- However, all games will now be nationally – rather than regionally – televised.
- Multiple BGP routers can peer with a central point, the RR – acting as a route reflector server – rather than peer with every other router in a full mesh.
- Theatres Trust has said that the internal conversions for its past usage in various guises appear to have obscured – rather than destroyed – the interior.
- It has pulled off this feat by partnering with galleries and auction houses, rather than directly competing with them."
- Shark teeth are embedded in the gums rather than directly affixed to the jaw, and are constantly replaced throughout life.
- A web browser is set to send requests for web content to the proxy server rather than directly to the web server intended.
- The number of boarders was rather high.
- He had a rather high earned run average of 4.67 but an average run support.
- Nearly all the students were women and middle-class, even though the school's cost was rather high.
- Because written works were still rather limited during this time, spoken communication of knowledge was very important.
- The current (1969) regulations are rather limited with a focus on reporting of three main diseases: cholera, yellow fever and plague.
- The bandwidth of these devices is rather limited; at one octave above the design frequency, diffusor efficiency drops to that of a flat surface.
- The lyrics closely follow the plot of the film rather than focusing on romanticism.
- He thinks that Americans are more focused on the images and symbols of religion rather than focusing on the message.
- This time, rather than focusing only on more obscure material, the compilation included several of their most successful singles.
- Typical dishes offered are rather simple and rich.
- This provides also a rather simple proof of Bézout's theorem.
- Most displays are rather simple and involve some type of song.
- Gunners rode into action while sitting on the limbers rather than walking beside the guns.
- The feet are adapted to perching rather than walking, and the front toes are partially joined at the base.
- As a member of the Taller de Gráfica Popular, he believed that artists should work for the people rather than for themselves.
- In particular, the president from then on was to be elected directly by the people rather than by the members of the legislature.
- Locke believed that individuals had given consent to government and therefore authority derived from the people rather than from above.
- Pterostigma of fore wing rather narrow.
- However they rendered the forcing of the bullet against the grooves of the rifle bore in the Delvigne system rather difficult.
- The Valjoux 7750 is different from most other chronograph movements, using the three-plane cam system rather than the column wheel.
- British Columbians voted in favour of maintaining the first-past-the-post voting system rather than switching to a proportional representation voting system.
- "To teach people how to think rather than what to think."
- In other words, "Son of man" was used to say what Jesus did rather than what he was.
- Then it is less costly for the seller to accept money in exchange, rather than what the buyer produces.
- Vowel letters are used rather than diacritics, and they occur after consonants in their spoken order.
- This made the production of local programs rather difficult.
- A very tenacious plant, it is rather difficult to destroy it.
- The technique of inclusion of uncooked eggs to hot broth is rather difficult.
- Adams retired outright from the bench (rather than taking senior status) on January 2, 1987.
- Simultaneously the studio believes that architecture should remain a backdrop to life rather than taking centre stage.
- Annual commemorations, rather than taking place on 24–29 April, are typically based on the date of Easter, which is a moveable feast.
- The engraved impressions are generally rather poor.
- He had four sons and two daughters, but was rather poor.
- Violet's father has recently died and left his wife and daughter rather poor.
- It was a title of religious authority rather than political authority.
- This march had fewer than five hundred participants, with religious rather than political overtones.
- Thus, young Francisco was a member of a huge and powerful northern Mexican clan with a focus on commercial rather than political interests.
- Griselda absolutely refuses and declares she would rather die.
- She states that she would rather die than live a mediocre existence.
- ", suggesting that he would rather die than stay on the battlefield.
- With the bat he was rather less successful, making 8 and 4.
- Factors of adhesion below 4 are often considered undesirable for steam locomotives, and the K5 design did prove to be rather less sure-footed because of it.
- However, the next year, a rather less exotic location – a brick-pit near Ockley, in Surrey, England – provided Charig with the most exciting research project of his career.
- The feet are adapted to perching rather than walking, and the front toes are partially joined at the base.
- It appears somewhat episodically [...] Between the very specific and the very general, there remains a rather broad territory.
- The brown macular band rather broad, the cell distally brown; in the female the whole central area as far as the band with a brown tint.
- As in the wings of modern birds, the flight feathers of "Archaeopteryx" were somewhat asymmetrical and the tail feathers were rather broad.