‹ Trumbull Trumped-up ›
Meanings and phrases
- a brass musical instrument with a brilliant tone; has a narrow tube and a flared bell and is played by means of valves; cornet; horn; trumpet
- a playing card in the suit that has been declared trumps; trump card
- (card games) the suit that has been declared to rank above all other suits for the duration of the hand
- get the better of; outdo; outflank; best; scoop
- produce a sound as if from a trumpet
- play a trump; ruff
- proclaim or announce with or as if with a fanfare; trump out
- a playing card in the suit that has been declared trumps; trump
- However Mickey still has a trump card to play.
- Skinner then pulled his trump card and gave Ross the letters.
- He played his trump card by telling the military command to hunt down the mutineers in daylight.
- proclaim or announce with or as if with a fanfare; trump
- invent; concoct
- If a trump suit is led, the usual rule for trick-taking applies.
- bet to make more points than the opponent, with the preferred trump suit.
- Instead it is the 4-level bid immediately above the agreed trump suit; i.e.