“Abandon” in the news
|decided to abandon|
|decision to abandon|
|forced to abandon|
Idioms and phrases →
Publications and example sentences
· Europa League: Man Utd could face Istanbul Basaksehir or Copenhagen in last eight →
Remaining last-16 ties: Copenhagen v Istanbul Basaksehir (0-1), Wolves v Olympiakos (1-1), Bayer Leverkusen v Rangers (3-1), Shakhtar Donetsk v Wolfsburg (2-1), Basel v Eintracht Frankfurt (0-3), Manchester United v LASK (5-0), Inter Milan v Getafe (first leg abandoned), Sevilla v Roma (first leg abandoned).
· Swim on sharks, nothing to see here: could fake kelp prevent attacks? →
Personal deterrents also include electrical or magnetic repellents; aerosols packed with an extract of dead shark tissue; and even a device that emits orca calls, based on how white sharks have been observed temporarily abandoning their hunting grounds when orca are present.
· For die-hard Redskins fans, name review brings a mix of anger, sadness and relief →
Some die-hards, such as Daly, are fed up and plan to abandon the franchise.
· D.C.’s failed investigation into our son’s death is a tragedy. So we conducted our own. →
In fact, a D.C. police report in February 2017, utilizing our findings, concluded that “a criminal offense occurred” and stated that based upon witness testimony “the punch that hit Casey was only believed to be ‘in defense of another’ by [the perpetrator] and by no one else.” Nevertheless, the prosecutors rejected police requests for subpoenas to gather more evidence and the D.C. police silently abandoned their responsibilities again.
· DAP’s Anthony Loke urges Rahang rep to rethink leaving party, says no time limit, no pressure →
However, should Mary Josephine choose to remain firm, Loke remains confident that the former party veteran will not abandon Pakatan Harapan, nor betray the rakyat’s mandate.
· China to hit back against US sanctions over Uighur rights →
Has the world abandoned the Uighur Muslims?
· What a damning civil rights audit missed about Facebook →
Google abandoned plans to offer a major new cloud service in China due in part to concerns over geopolitical tensions and the pandemic.
· DAPL Ruling Nicks, Doesn't Negate, ConocoPhillips' Strategy →
This and other regulatory delays led to, third, Dominion (D) and Duke (DUK) to abandon their Atlantic Coast natural gas pipeline and fourth, Dominion to sell its midstream assets to Berkshire Hathaway (BRK.A) (NYSE:BRK.B).
The New York Times
· David Mitchell Brings His Novelistic High Jinks to the Swinging ’60s →
Nested or parallel structures also distinguish “Number9Dream,” which follows a Japanese teenager as he searches for the father who abandoned him and his twin sister; his search is shadowed — or, perhaps, “twinned” — by dream narratives.
The New York Times
· What Happens When You’re Disabled but Nobody Can Tell →
We have abandoned such markers of extreme grief.