“Affirm” in the news
Publications and example sentences
The New York Times
· New York City’s Curfew: What You Need to Know →
While many political leaders affirmed the right of protesters to express themselves, they urged the demonstrators to wear face masks and maintain social distancing, both to protect themselves and to prevent further community spread of the virus.
· McConnell blocks resolution condemning Trump's actions against peaceful protesters →
The other side: The resolution that Schumer introduced also affirmed the constitutional rights of peaceful protesters and condemned violence and looting.
· Indonesia Cites 2016 South China Sea Arbitral Tribunal Award at UN. Is That a Big Deal? →
This view has also been affirmed by the Award of 12 July 2016 by the Tribunal that any historic rights that the People’s Republic of China may have had to the living and non-living resources were superseded by the limits of the maritime zones provided for by UNCLOS 1982.
· Trump's Grotesque Violation of the First Amendment →
“For the legislature absolutely or conditionally to forbid public speaking in a highway or public park is no more an infringement of the rights of a member of the public than for the owner of a private home to forbid it in his house.” The U.S. Supreme Court tersely affirmed Holmes’s opinion.
Hong Kong Free Press
· In full: UK urges China to ‘step back from the brink’ over Hong Kong security law →
An approach that China itself has long articulated and affirmed as the basis for its relations with Hong Kong.
· Moody's downgrade spree continues, ratings of Infosys, TCS, Adani Green, and GAIL trimmed down →
However, Moody’s affirmed the issuer rating of Reliance Industries but revised the outlook to negative from stable.
· SRC trial: Najib’s lawyers go on offensive in oral submissions, points out inconsistencies within prosecution’s case →
Other holes were poked into the prosecution’s case by Harvinderjit, when he pointed that AmBank relationship manager, Krystle Yap, had testified as a witness and affirmed that she received instructions to approve transactions of cash into Najib’s accounts not from the account holder himself but from individuals identified as See Yoke Peng and Geh Choh Heng.
· New Preferred Stock IPOs, May 2020 →
During the May 8 conference call, the company declared that it could “... no longer affirm previous FY2020 guidance given the inability to estimate the impact of COVID-19” - a statement applicable to many companies and individuals alike for the next several months.
· Moody’s cuts HDFC Bank, SBI to Baa3; takes rating action on 11 banks a day after India downgrade →
Interestingly, Moody’s has changed Punjab National Bank’s (PNB) rating to positive from stable, while affirming PNB’s long-term local and foreign currency deposit ratings at Ba1 and its BCA at b1.