“Allegedly” in the news
Idioms and phrases →
Publications and example sentences
· Court OKs extradition of man linked to Venezuela’s Maduro →
U.S. officials trying to reignite their campaign to oust Maduro believe Saab holds many secrets about how Venezuelan president, his family and top aides allegedly siphoned off millions of dollars in government contracts at a time of widespread hunger in the oil-rich nation.
· Man charged over alleged fatal stabbing of mother in Sydney's north-west →
In recent weeks Daiane Pelegrini’s former lover had allegedly been trying to get in touch with the 33-year-old Sydney mother, texting her and visiting her north-western Sydney home unannounced.
· Sarawak cop nabbed for graft →
KUALA LUMPUR, Aug 4 — A police officer was arrested by the Sarawak Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) today for allegedly receiving a bribe of more than RM12,000.
The Japan Times
· Three nabbed for allegedly asking for perjury over casino bribery case →
Tokyo prosecutors arrested three corporate executives Tuesday for allegedly asking people involved in a bribery scandal, linked to a casino-featuring integrated resort that has led to the arrest and indictment of a lawmaker, to commit perjury for money.
· You were WARNED! Meghan and Harry face paparazzi in US ‘worse than in UK’ →
Just months after the big move Meghan and Harry are already embroiled in a legal row after paparazzi allegedly used a drone to take pictures of their infant son Archie.
· Woman claims she saw Prince Andrew with Ghislaine Maxwell and Virginia Giuffre on ‘Woking Pizza Express’ night →
Ms Bloom said Shukri Walker allegedly remembers seeing Prince Andrew at the club with Ms Giuffre – then known as Virginia Roberts – and Epstein’s girlfriend Ghislaine Maxwell, who was recently arrested in the US.
· EU scandal: Top MEP under investigation over alleged expenses fiddle →
He allegedly handed in travel documents showing he had spent just 15 minutes in Brussels between trips.
· 1MDB trial: Ex-CEO Shahrol admits Najib not briefed on deal with Aabar BVI →
Kadem was listed as an executive for Aabar BVI, described in the High Court as a “fake firm” allegedly under the control of fugitive businessman Low Taek Jho, better known as Jho Low.
The New York Times
· A Wider-Than-Thought Trump Investigation →
Seven years of allegedly defrauding the government.