“Amid” in the news
Idioms and phrases →
Publications and example sentences
· Alibaba: Catalysts Aplenty But Caution Is Warranted →
Amid the exuberance, Alibaba's market cap hit fresh highs as investors ignored naysayers and warmed, belatedly, to the fact it is a big beneficiary of the post-COVID world.
· Fundamentally Unsound →
Meanwhile, amid $3 trillion in government support - poorly structured as it was - bankruptcies are already rising rapidly.
· New York Times: In Spite Of Subscription Strength, Don't Pay Premium Multiples For A Stable Business →
Investors cheered the company's strength in digital subscription ads amid the pandemic.
· Judge Orders Halt As Federal Executions Are Set To Resume This Week →
The decision came amid a wave of litigation involving family members of victims and religious advisers to the men on federal death row.
· ‘Unnecessary’, Thiem fires back at Kyrgios in Adria Tour spat →
Kyrgios and Zverev have pulled out of the Berlin event, which started today amid strict hygiene guidelines with organisers promising “there will be no player parties here”.
· North Korea’s barbaric indoctrination laid bare as Kim Jong-un dubbed ‘literal god’ →
North Korea’s most recent threats come amid a string of aggressive military action.
· Trump loses battle in 'culture war' as Washington NFL team will drop Redskins name →
The companies acted amid ongoing racial unrest that was triggered by the death of George Floyd, a black man, under the knee of a white police officer in Minneapolis.
The China Post
· Time to make masks mandatory? It’s not just a US debate →
PARIS (AP) — Amid pervasive backsliding on social distancing, Britain and France are weighing whether to require people to wear masks in public places.
· ‘Redskins’ no longer: Washington NFL team changing name in response to sponsor pressure →
The move came less than two weeks after owner Dan Snyder, a boyhood fan of the team who once declared he would never get rid of the name, launched a “thorough review” amid pressure from sponsors.
· 'Unnecessary', Thiem fires back at Kyrgios in Adria Tour spat →
Zverev said he skipped Berlin to train more, while Kyrgios pulled out amid travel concerns from Australia where the pandemic has worsened with Melbourne back in lockdown.