“Anniversary” in the news
Publications and example sentences
· Two Australian reporters assaulted and attacked during London protests →
Walsh initially feared the man may have been wearing an explosive vest and was trying to kill her on what was the third anniversary of the deadly London Bridge terrorist attack.
· America's rivals return fire on human rights after U.S. protests →
Chinese state media have given heavy coverage to the protests, even on the eve of the anniversary of its own military crackdown on protesters 31 years ago, an event it rarely mentions.
The New York Times
· Teaching Ideas and Resources to Help Students Make Sense of the George Floyd Protests →
The 1619 Project: To make much deeper connections between this moment and American history, The New York Times 1619 Project offers a series of articles, poetry, fiction and multimedia created to observe the 400th anniversary of the beginning of American slavery.
· Hydroxychloroquine fails to prevent COVID-19, large study finds →
Commemorations to mark the 76th anniversary of the D-Day landings in Normandy, France are to take a different form this year due to the coronavirus pandemic.
· 'Most extreme response': China commentary roasts US over protests →
The commentary comes a day before the 31st anniversary of China's violent crackdown on pro-democracy protesters in Tiananmen Square.
· German police identify 'murder' suspect in Madeleine McCann case →
The lead investigator in Britain, Mark Cranwell, said police were given a tip-off after the ten-year anniversary of Madeleine's disappearance about a German man who was known around the Praia da Luz area in Portugal.
· Madeleine McCann disappearance: the new suspect and what we know →
Scotland Yard said they started investigating the man as a suspect after a police appeal on the 10th anniversary of Madeleine’s disappearance in 2017 resulted in “significant information” being received.
The New York Times
· Your Thursday Briefing →
Today is the anniversary, and also the first time that the authorities in Hong Kong have prohibited a vigil to remember those killed in Beijing’s crackdown.