“Assault” in the news
Idioms and phrases →
Publications and example sentences
· Top Mueller lawyer to publish insider account of Trump-Russia investigation →
“This is the story of our investigation into how our democracy was attacked by Russia and how those who condoned and ignored that assault undermined our ability to uncover the truth.
· Johnny Depp tells court Amber Heard hit him with 'haymaker' punch →
Depp has denied assaulting Heard or being out of control.
· Bahrain court upholds death sentence against two men in 2014 case →
Amnesty International and a UK-based pro-opposition activist group, the Bahrain Institute for Rights and Democracy (BIRD), have also said both men were tortured to extract false confessions, subjected to sexual assault, beatings, sleep deprivation and other abuses.
· Michaela Coel says the word ‘responsibility’ has become ‘taboo’ when discussing drinks being spiked →
Michaela Coel has spoken about how she perceives her experience of suffering sexual assault after her drink was spiked, stating that the word “responsibility” has become “taboo”.
The China Post
· 21 injured in fire aboard ship at Naval Base San Diego →
About 160 sailors and officers were on board when an explosion and flames sent up a huge plume of dark smoke from the 840-foot (255-meter) amphibious assault vessel, which has been docked at Naval Base San Diego and was undergoing routine maintenance.
· Women speak out about Warren Ellis: 'Full and informed consent was impossible' →
On 19 June Ellis posted a statement on Twitter, denying he had “ever consciously coerced, manipulated or abused anyone, nor have I assaulted anybody”.
· Johnny Depp tells high court libel case how he lost $650m in earnings →
Depp denies ever hitting Heard, 34, who has submitted details of 14 occasions during their relationship when she claims he assaulted her.
· What can stop sexual harassment in the U.S. military? →
Almost every time military sexual harassment and assault hits the news, the military’s response is to create more policies to punish these actions.
· I May Destroy You: 5 shows to watch if you like I May Destroy You →
Whilst I May Destroy You tackles the harsh realities of sexual assault and raises questions over consent, Top Boy shines a light on gang wars, poverty and the drug world.
· Bahrain’s highest court upholds death sentences despite evidence of torture →
Their sentence was overturned following an internal review over allegations the men had been tortured and sexually assaulted.