“Assembly” in the news
Publications and example sentences
· George Floyd protests: National Guard troops positioned at Lincoln Memorial, drawing ‘police state’ comparisons →
The assembly came after the US capital imposed a 7pm curfew to try and curb violence that has flared between protesters and police over the last week, with citizens venting their anger at the death of George Floyd met with tear gas, rubber bullets and pepper spray.
· MP Assembly byelection 2020: Stakes high for BJP, Jyotiraditya Scindia faces first acid test after exit from Congress →
A lot is at stake for the Bharatiya Janata Party as Madhya Pradesh heads to polls for 24 Assembly seats later this year.
The Japan Times
· Xi Jinping’s strategic folly in Hong Kong →
It also appears that law itself does not necessarily have to be debated by Hong Kong’s legislators and can be placed under an annex of the Basic Law, the mini constitution that promises wide-ranging autonomy to Hong Kong and protects rights such as freedom of assembly and freedom of speech.
· WHO chief 'went too far' praising Beijing, as new report reveals coronavirus delays →
Australia ultimately pushed for an independent inquiry into the origins of the coronavirus and the role of the World Health Organisation at the World Health Assembly in May.
· Dunkirk: how 335,000 were rescued - archive, 1940 →
If that organisation had not been at work before the recent emergency arose there is no knowing how the rapid assembly of the 687 small craft which brought the men away from Northern France would have been arranged.
· Stormont Live: Translink CEO updates MLAs on Covid-19 →
Welcome to Wednesday's live coverage of the Northern Ireland Assembly at Stormont.
· Johor Pakatan says committed to parliamentary democracy, constitutional monarchy after Sultan’s warning →
JOHOR BARU, June 3 — In an immediate response today, Johor Pakatan Harapan (PH) said it took notice and respects state Ruler Sultan Ibrahim Sultan Iskandar’s warning to assemblymen that he will immediately dissolve the state assembly to pave the way for fresh election statewide.
· Impunity and annexation: 'Israel has its cake and eats it too' →
Israel has been in non-compliance with more than 40 Security Council resolutions, and about 100 UN General Assembly (UNGA) resolutions.
· Johor sultan warns that he will dissolve state assembly if politicking continues →
JOHOR BAHRU: The Sultan of Johor has warned that he would dissolve the Johor state legislative assembly if politicking continues, more than three months after Perikatan Nasional (PN) ousted Pakatan Harapan (PH) and took over the state administration.
The China Post
· The Latest: Police confront several hundred in Portland →
Police declared an unlawful assembly and set off flash-bang grenades and tear gas.