“Autonomy” in the news
|degree of autonomy|
Idioms and phrases →
Publications and example sentences
· Dozens wounded in grenade attack at pro-Kashmir Karachi rally →
It has also announced its alliance with the Balochistan Liberation Army, a rebel group fighting for greater autonomy for the Balochistan region in southwestern Pakistan.
· Keep On Trucking With PACCAR →
This long-haul truck, built at PACCAR’s Innovation Center, boasts level 4 autonomy, which offers fully autonomous operation in certain conditions.
· Pakistan PM reiterates support for Kashmiri self-determination →
On August 5, 2019, Modi's Hindu nationalist government revoked Kashmir's limited autonomy, promising that the move would facilitate economic development by bringing the territory into the country's administrative mainstream.
· Modi's brutal treatment of Kashmir exposes his tactics – and their flaws →
On 6 August, a bill was passed in parliament stripping the state of Jammu and Kashmir of its autonomy and special status enshrined in the Indian constitution.
· World War 3: China warns US 'threatening peace' near Beijing border – orders Trump to stop →
Chinese Premier, Xi Jinping has expressed a desire to bring the island under his ‘One China’ principle despite its autonomy.
· India revoked Kashmir’s autonomy a year ago. What has happened since then? →
The Indian government scrapped the constitutional provisions of autonomy in Article 370 and 35A, dissolved Kashmir’s state assembly and split the region into two union territories.
· A tale of two isolations →
This is why Pedro, an extreme symbol of autonomy, has now gone from the marginal to the model.
· Pakistan PM Khan slams ‘oppressor’ India on Kashmir anniversary →
Tensions spiralled between the nuclear-armed neighbours after India revoked Kashmir’s autonomy and imposed movement and communications restrictions to quell unrest.
· Indian PM Modi lays foundation of Ram temple at razed mosque site →
The symbolism was impossible to miss since the BJP had long pledged in its manifesto to strip the disputed region of Kashmir of its autonomy and to build a temple to the Hindu God Ram where the Mughal-era mosque once stood.
· Why Hindu Nationalism Keeps Gaining Ground in India →
• After Modi’s re-election, the government scrapped seven decades of autonomy for the contested region of Kashmir, the only part of India with a Muslim majority.