“Beneath” in the news
|beneath the costa|
|beneath the surface|
Publications and example sentences
· 100,000 evacuated from Mumbai as cyclone lashes India's business capital →
Some 200 COVID-19 patients in Mumbai were moved from a field hospital built beneath a tent to another facility to avoid the risk of strong wind gusts, officials said.
· Tom Hiddleston on Coriolanus: 'There was nowhere to hide – that's exciting' →
Joining forces with his sworn enemy, Aufidius, he plots revenge against Rome: “There is no more mercy in him than there is milk in a male tiger.” And then finally, at the very end, as he watches his own mother, wife and son kneel at his feet and beg for his mercy, he reveals – beneath the hardened exterior of contempt – a tenderness and vulnerability not seen before.
· My favourite film aged 12: The Sixth Sense →
I’m not sure where this supernatural being would have come from in a house built in 1992 – an ancient burial ground beneath the foundations?
· George W. Bush calls on US to examine its 'tragic failures' →
“It remains a shocking failure that many African Americans, especially young African American men, are harassed and threatened in their own country,” Bush said in the statement expressing anguish over the death of George Floyd, suffocated beneath the knee of a white policeman in Minneapolis on May 25.
· Jack Colwell: Swandream review – theatrical, raw songs packed with pain and soaring survival →
As the piano curves around rather than cutting through you, in a quiet voice all the more effective for not being in any way affected, Colwell recalls a mother punched on Christmas Eve, a purple bruise beneath a boy’s jaw, Julie Andrews on the TV, and the knowledge now that “I will not be afraid of you/I have learned to grow past you”.
The New York Times
· A Walk Meant to Convey Grit Evokes Trump’s Dark Side Instead →
WASHINGTON — After a weekend of protests that led all the way to his own front yard and forced him to briefly retreat to a bunker beneath the White House, President Trump arrived in the Oval Office on Monday agitated over the television images, annoyed that anyone would think he was hiding and eager for action.
· Dollar loses safe-haven shine, sends euro to 11-week high →
The protests erupted over the death of George Floyd, a 46-year-old African-American who died in Minneapolis police custody after being pinned beneath a white officer’s knee for nearly nine minutes.
· The Malaysian hypocrisy — Dharm Navaratnam →
How many of you even bother to take the trouble to smile or greet them or are they just beneath you?
· The stress-busting exercise everybody can do from home →
Come on to your hands and knees on the floor so that your wrists are beneath your shoulders and knees beneath your hips.
· How to create an Instagram-worthy gallery wall: Interiors experts on framing and displaying your art →
Be careful the edges don’t match – everything should occupy its own space and shouldn’t accidentally line up with something below or beneath or to the side.”