· The Line of Beauty: Sex, anger, lust, danger: the semiotics of scarlet →
The red hue blazes her status.
The New York Times
· How California Is Bracing for Wildfires During a Pandemic →
Last year, the state’s largest utility, Pacific Gas & Electric Co., cut power to millions of Californians, hoping to prevent its equipment — which has been blamed for some of the state’s most disastrous blazes — from sparking another conflagration.
· Coronavirus highlights plight of thousands of incarcerated California wildfire fighters →
This year, after a historically dry winter followed by a hot spring, thousands of inmates have been among those battling blazes in the state, doing the backbreaking work of clearing the dead wood and vegetation that fuel the most destructive fires.
· Greece: Summer camp evacuated in wildfire precaution →
The Fire Service said the blaze had been contained with the help of water-dropping helicopters and several dozen firefighters.
· When is a football manager ‘past it’? →
The best are obviously very bright people, blazing with ideas that challenge and upend existing orthodoxies, especially when young.
· Climate crisis: UK consumption ‘fuelling Amazon fires’ →
Brazil’s government space research agency, INPE, said the blazes represent a 20 per cent increase from the devastating 1,880 fires in June 2019 which came ahead of global outrage at the destruction of the vital rainforest.
· Tapping into crime fears, GOP conflates mayhem with protests →
Apocalyptic images of blazing buildings and window-smashing protesters pop up on the TV screen as a caller to a 911 emergency line reaches voicemail.
The New York Times
· Dispatch from a Locked-Down Melbourne →
We sit in front of blazing fireplaces at neighborhood pubs, we take trips to the countryside or plan our annual holidays abroad during these long dark months.
· Pensioner dies of smoke inhalation after candle fire in cold home →
The blaze had started in the bedroom in the early evening on March 18,.
· Aaron Bummer, a southpaw for any situation →
Not one to snooze on his $16 million offseason contract extension, the White Sox stopper is ready to come out fastballs blazing.