“Ceasefire” in the news
Idioms and phrases →
Publications and example sentences
· Prison raid mars relative calm in Afghanistan after ceasefire →
At least 29 people have been killed in a raid on an Afghan prison claimed by the Islamic State group, officials said Monday, as the country waited to see if a government ceasefire with the Taliban would rupture after its formal expiration.
· John Hume obituary →
The protracted dialogue that followed with the IRA and other parties culminated in Hume’s most notable achievement: engineering the ceasefire of August 1994, when the IRA and loyalist combatants agreed to a total cessation of violence.
· More than 20 killed after Isis militants storm Afghanistan prison, causing mass jailbreak →
The militant organisation declared a three-day ceasefire from Friday to Monday for Eid al-Adha.
· John Hume death: Northern Irish politician who won Nobel Peace price dies, aged 83 →
Four years later, his efforts were finally rewarded when the IRA announced the renewal of its 1994 ceasefire – and political talks eventually led to the signing of the Good Friday Agreement in 1998.
· At least 20 dead in Afghan prison raid claimed by IS: officials →
The raid shattered the relative calm of a ceasefire between the Taliban and Afghan government forces that started Friday to mark the Muslim holiday of Eid al-Adha.
· Former pope Benedict XVI 'extremely frail', says German newspaper report →
Pope Francis calls for global ceasefire amid Covid-19 pandemic in livestreamed Easter address
· Afghan government urges Taliban to extend ceasefire →
KABUL, Aug 3 — The Afghan government yesterday urged the Taliban to extend a rare ceasefire hours before it was due to end, as a contentious prisoner swap between the two warring sides edged closer to completion.
· Scores of prisoners escape in Islamic State attack on Afghan jail →
The assault happened on the third and final day of a ceasefire between the Afghan government and the Taliban, when hundreds of Taliban prisoners were released in an attempt to make a final push for intra-Afghan peace talks.
· Afghan gov't urges Taliban to extend ceasefire →
The Afghan government on Sunday urged the Taliban to extend a rare ceasefire hours before it was due to end, as a contentious prisoner swap between the two warring sides edged closer to completion.
· Islamic State group claims responsibility for deadly prison attack in Afghanistan →
Afghan security forces killed in first ‘Taliban attack’ since end of ceasefire