“Commemorate” in the news
|built to commemorate|
|commemorate the centenary|
|commemorate the event|
Publications and example sentences
· 'Blackout Tuesday' posts draw support, skepticism in music industry →
Bandcamp, a platform for musicians to share and earn money off their art, vowed to donate its share of sales made on Juneteenth -- a June 19 holiday commemorating the emancipation of African Americans from slavery -- to the NAACP Legal Defense Fund, a racial justice organization.
· Italy's opposition parties flout social distancing rules at rally in Rome →
The demonstration was staged to coincide with celebrations for June 2, a public holiday, commemorating the vote in favour of the creation of a Republic after the Second World War.
· Italy's Matteo Salvini leads anti-government rally in Rome →
Mattarella then travelled to Codogno, in Lombardy, the heart of the outbreak in Italy, and gave a speech commemorating the 33,000 dead due to the virus, ANSA news agency reported.
· New virus cluster spurs Hong Kong to extend border curbs and limit on gatherings →
The limits on the size of gatherings prompted police to reject for the first time an application of the annual vigil tens of thousands of Hong Kong people traditionally hold on June 4 in a downtown park to commemorate pro-democracy protesters killed in and around Beijing’s Tiananmen Square 31 years ago.
The New York Times
· Protests in N.Y.C.: Latest Updates →
Pride Month, which would normally be commemorated with parades and events.
The New York Times
· The Brilliant Astronomer Who Devised New Tactics to Fight Anti-Gay Bias →
And he takes you to the homophiles’ first picket lines before beautifully evoking the first march commemorating the Stonewall riots, in June 1970.
Hong Kong Free Press
· BREAKING: Coronavirus – Hong Kong extends social distancing restrictions after cluster of infections →
Chan denied allegations that the government had extended the gathering ban to prevent citizens from commemorating upcoming protest anniversaries: “What has been discussed in the [Executive Council] this morning, in terms of the legislation and also the different extension, is really based on public health grounds,” she said.
· Blackout Tuesday: What do Instagram black squares mean – and how can you take part? →
The movement began in the music industry, with a number of leading names committing to commemorate the day by refraining from posting on social media or releasing new content.
· Fiction for older children reviews – monster quests and inner challenges →
Although Addie is adamant the women deserve a memorial, the village is not so keen to commemorate a bleak episode.
· Is the ‘1992 Consensus‘ Fading Away in the Taiwan Strait? →
China’s mixed messages on the consensus and Taiwan’s elimination of it entirely are likely rooted in Chinese President Xi Jinping’s January 2019 speech commemorating the 40th anniversary of a “Message to Compatriots in Taiwan.” In his speech, Xi for the first time conflated the 1992 Consensus with the “one country, two systems” arrangement.