“Compete” in the news
|did not compete|
|selected to compete|
Publications and example sentences
The New York Times
· Coronavirus Slams Broken, Embattled Yemen →
The coronavirus appears to have slammed into Yemen, a country already staggering from five years of war, competing power centers, a health care system in ruins, widespread hunger and outbreaks of cholera and other infectious diseases.
· Singapore secured about S$13 billion in investment commitments in first 4 months of 2020 amid COVID-19 outbreak →
“We would like to have talented individuals to be part of team Singapore, rather than competing against Singapore if they were somewhere else,” he added.
The New York Times
· Is Pickleball the Perfect Pandemic Pastime? →
And while running around a court for an hour can certainly be a good workout, pickleball, with its lightweight paddles and low net, requires little skill or training (though pros compete in U.S. Open-style tournaments each year).
· Sony confirms PlayStation 5 will have exclusive games; all new PS4 games must be forward compatible →
It’s not very surprising that Sony is going all guns blazing for PS5-exclusives that will really show off the “true” capabilities of its next generation console, but at the same time, one can’t help notice the difference in approach here against Microsoft and its competing console, aka the Xbox Series X.
· Berkshire Hathaway Trims Stake In Sirius XM →
The other manager hired was Todd Combs, both were hired a decade ago, and it was believed that the two would be competing to see who would succeed Buffett in managing Berkshire's vast investment portfolio.
· Bad tempered post-Brexit talks enter crucial phase →
The Europeans fear that a Britain unshackled from EU standards but enjoying zero-tariff trade ties could become a backdoor for companies to compete unfairly in the EU single market.
· Make league great again: New rules a big win for the little blokes →
Faster play-the-balls create untidy football, too much dummy-half running and an overemphasis on teams trying to perfect the wrestling techniques they need to give their defensive lines a chance to reset and compete.
The Japan Times
· Taiwan welcomes those resisting China in face of rising pressure →
Beijing and Taipei traded competing visions late last week over the fate of Taiwan as China signaled its determination to bring the island under its control while Taiwan’s president amplified her support of those resisting Chinese authority.
· Applied Materials Inc (AMAT) CEO Gary Dickerson Presents at 2020 Bernstein Strategic Decisions Conference (Transcript) →
And it's all about competing on power, performance, area and cost.
· Regeneron Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (REGN) CEO Len Schleifer Presents at Bernstein's 36th Annual Strategic Decisions Conference (Transcript) →
There are smart people out there who we compete with, obviously and it's not we compete with one person we compete with the entire world.