“Condemn” in the news
Publications and example sentences
· Rutte’s recognition of ‘systemic problem’ of racism is a watershed moment →
Until then Rutte had condemned the actions of ‘hooligans’ but declined to get involved in the underlying debate, insisting that it was a problem for society, not politicians, to resolve.
· He signed up to DJ on a cruise ship. Then coronavirus struck. →
Some have been condemned to windowless on-board residencies, or have been living under strict coronavirus lockdowns.
The China Post
· Protests turn subdued after new charges in Floyd case →
MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — Demonstrations in cities across the U.S. to condemn racism and police abuses remained large but turned notably more subdued on the eve of a Thursday memorial service for George Floyd that kicks off a series of events to mourn the man whose death empowered a national movement.
· Lebanon provides shelter to 35 homeless Ethiopian migrants →
A quarter of a million migrants are employed as domestic workers in Lebanon, the large majority of them Ethiopian and many in conditions that have been condemned by human rights groups and their own governments.
· Banana, bean cake and fertiliser stunts in Hong Kong's legislature →
Opponents condemn the actions, saying the disruptions paralyse the law making body.
· Can Joe Biden convince protesters he would be a 'transformational' president? →
Entering the race for president in 2019, Biden said he was motivated by the president’s failure to unequivocally condemn white supremacists in the wake of violent clashes in Charlottesville, Virginia, in 2017.
· First thing: Trump's current and former defense secretaries oppose his threats of force →
James Mattis condemned the president’s handling of the protests, while the current Pentagon chief opposes deploying the military.
· Football: LA Galaxy slams racist posts by wife of winger Katai →
LOS ANGELES: AFL club LA Galaxy on Wednesday (Jun 3) condemned a series of racist social media posts by the wife of their Serbian midfielder Aleksandar Katai and demanded their immediate removal.
Hong Kong Free Press
· ‘China’s forgotten day’: Global leaders and activists raise human rights concerns on Tiananmen Massacre anniversary →
At that time, the European Council, meeting in Madrid on 26-27 June 1989, strongly condemned the brutal repression that ensued.
· BTS expresses support for Black Lives Matter movement →
We condemn violence.