“Consciousness” in the news
|stream of consciousness|
Publications and example sentences
· George Floyd's Minneapolis death, Derek Chauvin's arrest and the 'Minnesota nice' myth →
Fired officer Chauvin, who kneeled on Floyd’s neck until after the pleading man lost consciousness, not only violated the department’s regulations on restraints, he violated a moral code.
· Streaming: the best home invasion films →
Parasite joins Jordan Peele’s ingenious, incendiary Us (streaming on Now TV), a deconstruction of black double consciousness played for visceral chills, in challenging the conventional politics of the home invasion movie – which traditionally sides with rich, respectable folks in peril.
· I like the sound of my own voice – but does that make me a narcissist? →
At least, that is, until I recently met my match: a girl who is as self-obsessed as I am sends me long, unsolicited streams of consciousness at 3am that resemble dream diary entries (and perhaps not incidentally she is – like me – a Gemini).
· Where protests are expected following Minneapolis 'I can't breathe' death →
Both Garner and Floyd were heard to gasp, “I can't breathe” before they lost consciousness.
· Loungewear Is Suddenly All-Day-Wear—and Lunya Was Ready For It →
“This is another area where we can lean in, and I’m excited about this new [social] consciousness in business.
The New York Times
· Tony Kushner: Larry Kramer Howled the Truths We Needed to Hear →
Both used language as a means of pushing consciousness past every trick of language that disguises reality.
· The death of George Floyd was an act of murder, plain and simple →
He lost consciousness, stopped breathing and his body went limp after four minutes.
The New York Times
· Why Kids Get Emotional About Pooping →
According to a theory of emotional consciousness developed by the neuroscientist Antonio Damasio, fundamental emotions are largely influenced by sensations in your body.
· How to Talk About Feminism in Tajikistan →
The “turning point” in the consciousness of our society has been an ongoing process for more than a hundred years.
· It's fanciful to think everybody on Earth is watching the NRL →
But, as predicted, when the government waved league through the pressure to let everyone else in has been so great that in short order things will be back to where they were two months ago, with just about everything open, and social distancing quickly starting to recede from the public consciousness.