“Contempt” in the news
|contempt of court|
Publications and example sentences
· 'Things fall apart': the apocalyptic appeal of WB Yeats's The Second Coming →
With his taste for autocracy, contempt for the masses and fascination with fascism (at least in its first decade), he would have been surprised to find his poem deployed as a spur for the defence of liberal democracy.
The Japan Times
· Team Trump puts spin above facts — always →
As always, it’s impossible to conceal the immense irony of Trump’s infantile impertinence: He won’t cover his face on film, but a figurative covering is tattooed across his entire being — one of diabolical deceit; fantastical fabrications; counterfeit condolences; and cretinous contempt for critics on a corpuscular level.
The New York Times
· Rules, Rescheduled Games and a Covenant Worth Preserving →
Many fans treat it with contempt.
· Daiichi Sankyo case: Singapore’s SC dismisses Singh brothers’ plea →
The Supreme Court of India had also in November last year held both the brothers guilty of contempt for violating its earlier orders that had restrained them from divesting their shares in Fortis Healthcare.
· The Most Exciting Senate Race in America →
In 2008, when Republicans symbolically walked off the House floor over the Democrats’ push to hold two George W. Bush aides in contempt, Speaker Nancy Pelosi rushed to Harrison to ensure that there would still be enough lawmakers present to constitute a quorum.
· Dominic Cummings and Boris Johnson have wrecked something precious →
So marvel at the irony that a man who made his name denouncing hypocritical Westminster elitism and its contempt for ordinary people is now the face of it.
· Mrs. America’s many brands of feminism, discussed and dissected →
I wanted instead to suggest that my belief that women are human beings was not a part of my identity but attributable to some shrill, hairy-legged radical inside of me, someone whom I talked about with faint contempt but could not help talking about a great deal nevertheless.
· Leave to remain for all migrants is integral to an effective coronavirus public health response →
If anyone believes or tries to defend this pathetic excuse they are treating anyone who has lost relatives to the disease, people who died alone because loved ones were abiding to the strict guidelines, and the whole of the British public with the utmost disrespect, disregard and contempt
· Social media best practice: guidelines for freelance contributors →
Do not post anything that could be classed as confidential and be aware of contempt of court issues if you are tweeting about an active case.
· Another threat looming in the fight against coronavirus: anti-vaxxers →
He said the onus will be on health care providers and doctors to not treat the skeptics with contempt, but rather to answer people’s questions with respect.