· Donald Trump's withdrawal of troops from Afghanistan is an unavoidable recognition of failure →
Militarily, the Taliban could never be put permanently out of business so long as they had the not-very covert support of Pakistan and could use Pakistani territory as their rear base and refuge.
· It’s Time to Listen to the Doomsday Planners →
In this case, it did not activate its main continuity-of-operations site—an enormous, anonymous, secure facility in the mid-Atlantic region where up to 10 percent of the headquarters’ staff could run the agency’s worldwide covert operations and communications system if Langley had to be closed or was destroyed, one former agency official and a current government official told me.
· North Koreans charged in wide-ranging $3.7B sanctions-busting scheme →
Five of the defendants are Chinese citizens who operated covert branches in either China or Libya.
· US indicts N. Koreans, Chinese over US$2.5b network to dodge sanctions →
Most of those indicted were associated with a network of “covert” branches of North Korea's blacklisted Foreign Trade Bank, and included two people who had served as presidents of the bank, Ko Chol Man and Kim Song Ui, and two vice presidents.
The New York Times
· F.B.I. Once Investigated Trump Campaign Adviser’s Ties to Egypt →
Though Mr. Mueller’s primary mandate was to examine Russia’s covert operation to sabotage the election and whether any Trump associates conspired, several Trump campaign advisers and transition team members elicited concerns at the F.B.I.
· (LEAD) U.S. charges N. Koreans with laundering $2.5 bln to support nuclear program →
Also among the defendants are North Koreans who operated the bank's covert branches in Beijing and Shenyang, China, as well as in Austria, Libya, Thailand, Russia and Kuwait.
The Wall Street Journal
· U.S. Charges North Korea Officials With Illegally Transferring $2.5 Billion →
In a 50-page indictment filed in February and made public on Thursday, prosecutors said officials and agents of North Korea’s primary foreign exchange bank, the Foreign Trade Bank, opened and operated covert branches of the bank in Thailand, Austria, Russia, China and elsewhere.
The China Post
· Israeli cyber chief: Major attack on water systems thwarted →
Yigal Unna did not mention Iran directly, nor did he comment on the alleged Israeli retaliation two weeks later said to have shut down a key Iranian port, but he said recent developments have ushered in a new era of covert warfare, ominously warning that “cyber winter is coming.”
· How the free press worldwide is under threat →
Legal or quasi-legal mechanisms include the use of civil or criminal legal actions, covert surveillance, overt censorship and financial threats (such as withdrawing state advertising), as well as more direct intimidation and threats.