“Defy” in the news
Publications and example sentences
· DFW Death of A Youth Sports Prodigy - And The Murder of A Broken Heart →
Sometimes, defying infinite odds and surely God’s will, very bad things happen to very good children.
· France denies giving refuge to Venezuela's Guaido →
Guaido in January defied a travel ban to visit Europe on a charm offensive to back his bid to oust Maduro, holding talks with French President Emmanuel Macron.
The New York Times
· DealBook: Are We Past the Peak? →
and Germany announced yesterday defied expectations.
· 'I know they aren't healthy': the energy drink craze sweeping Afghanistan →
From children in Kabul to Taliban chiefs, the sweet, caffeine-heavy drinks are wildly popular, defying fears on nutrition
The New York Times
· Same-Sex Marriage in Conservative Costa Rica Was Not a Miracle →
In the 2018 presidential election, the front-runner was a conservative evangelical singer, Fabricio Alvarado, who promised to please majorities by opposing same-sex marriage, even if that meant defying the courts.
· Melbourne organisers of Stop Black Deaths in Custody rally defy authorities' pleas to call it off →
The organisers of an anti-racism demonstration that could see 20,000 protesters gather in central Melbourne on Saturday have defied authorities' pleas for them to call it off amid fears of a coronavirus spike.
The China Post
· Asian shares higher after jobless data snaps Wall St rally →
The Hang Seng in Hong Kong surged 1% to 24,600.00 after authorities showed restraint as thousands of people defied a police ban to join a candlelight vigil Thursday marking the 31st anniversary of China’s crushing of a democracy movement in Beijing’s Tiananmen Square.
· Dozens in Hong Kong stage protest in shopping mall →
HONG KONG: Dozens of Hong Kong protesters marched through a shopping mall on Friday (Jun 5), chanting slogans a day after thousands defied a police ban to hold a vigil for the anniversary of China's Tiananmen incident in 1989.
· Dozens in Hong Kong stage lunchtime protest in shopping mall →
HONG KONG: Dozens of protesters marched through the IFC mall in Hong Kong's Central district on Friday afternoon (Jun 5), a day after thousands defied a police ban to hold a vigil for the anniversary of China's Tiananmen incident in 1989.