“Delay” in the news
Publications and example sentences
The New York Times
· Cities Ask if It’s Time to Defund Police and ‘Reimagine’ Public Safety →
Mr. Dromm, chair of the city’s finance committee, said that in order to restore some funding to youth programs he was considering a delay in the next class of police cadets and scrutinizing the $700 million in police overtime that has been budgeted for this year.
The Wall Street Journal
· Target, Facebook, Warner Music: Stocks That Defined the Week →
Other retailers, including Macy’s Inc. and Apple Inc., delayed the reopening of stores due to the unrest, while chains like Kroger Co. cut back their hours.
· Torex Gold Is Golden →
As an example, with New Gold (NGD), when they brought Rainy River online, costs surged, and production has been delayed.
· Lamont Evans Just Won't Go Away →
Whenever a school is banned from postseason play, the NCAA allows players to transfer without penalty or delay in eligibility.
· Aboriginal deaths in custody: 434 have died since 1991, new data shows →
The inquest into the death of Wayne Fella Morrison, a Kokatha, Wirangu and Wiradjuri man who died in the same prison in 2016, has been delayed for two years because 18 prison employees claimed legal privilege against answering self-incriminating questions.
The China Post
· Suriname finally issues vote results showing opposition win →
The parties issued a statement accusing the government of obstructionism, noting that delays in the vote counting process are pushing it toward the June 24 deadline set by law for seating the new legislature.
· Dentsu evacuates Tokyo HQ after receiving bomb threat →
The pandemic has also hammered the advertising giant as clients reduce spending, with the virus-induced delay to the Tokyo 2020 Olympics, in which it has a central part, particularly painful.
· More active-duty troops leaving D.C.; others remain on alert →
Their departure had been delayed a day, causing a bit of confusion at a time of growing tensions with the White House over the military response to the protests.
· Decision on holding Olympics must wait until spring 2021: Endo →
The International Olympic Committee (IOC) and Japanese government took the unprecedented decision in March to delay the Games, which had been due to start in July.
· Pennsylvania man who wrongly spent 23 years on death row is freed →
A motion to overturn the conviction was delayed by the coronavirus pandemic, in which Ogrod fell ill.