“Detain” in the news
Publications and example sentences
· Canada's Huawei extradition ruling could unleash more Chinese backlash →
After Meng's arrest in Vancouver in December 2018, China detained two Canadian citizens on state security charges and blocked imports of some canola seed.
· George Floyd pleaded for young people to end gun violence and 'come on home' in resurfaced video →
The attorney’s statement continued: “This abusive, excessive, and inhumane use of force cost the life of a man who was being detained by the police for questioning about a non-violent charge.”
· Police in Ireland arrest four armed Brazilians over alleged drug feud →
“Four males are currently detained under section 30 Offences Against the State Act and a number of firearms have been recovered,” Ireland’s police force, An Garda Síochána, said in a statement.
· Six, including Syrian, issued compounds for attempting inter-state travel in Penang →
Of the total, six of them, including a Syrian man, were detained for attempting unauthorised inter-state travel.
· Canada court decision could end ‘Huawei Princess’ extradition saga →
Beijing has signalled that her repatriation is a precondition for improved bilateral ties and its release of two Canadians detained on espionage suspicions.
· 'One-man picket' lands Russian journalist in jail for 15 days →
Police detained the 35-year-old municipal lawmaker and journalist for the independent Novaya Gazeta newspaper on Tuesday.
· 86 ‘mat rempit’ nabbed for causing public nuisance →
BATU PAHAT, May 28 — Police detained 86 mat rempit (illegal motorcycle racers) for causing public nuisance and flouting the Conditional Movement Control Order (CMCO) at Jalan Seri Dayung, Sri Medan here yesterday.
· Nizamuddin Markaz: Delhi HC allows shifting of 955 foreign attendee from quarantine centres to alternate accommodation →
The Delhi Police had earlier told the high court that it had neither arrested nor detained anyone in the case lodged against members of Tablighi Jamaat for participating in the religious congregation at Nizamuddin Markaz event during the COVID-19 lockdown.
· U.S. virus deaths top 100,000, protests over George Floyd death and China's security law →
It was the second night of conflict during rallies by thousands enraged by Floyd's death while he was detained by police earlier this week.
· Incidents of police being called on black people not committing crimes lead states to consider new laws →
More problematic, legal experts say, is that police still have the broad authority to detain people if they are called to a scene.