Hong Kong Free Press
· Sweden ex-envoy cleared in Gui Minhai detained bookseller case →
A Stockholm court on Friday cleared Sweden’s former ambassador to Beijing of charges of overstepping her mandate by trying to negotiate the release of a Chinese dissident.
The Japan Times
· Japan and U.S. hold talks as tension rises on Korean Peninsula →
China’s crackdown on dissidents in Hong Kong through the enactment of a new national security law has drawn criticism as undermining the “one country, two systems” principle, and Beijing’s growing assertiveness in surrounding waters.
· The joys of Czech tramping – ‘hiking with friendship, freedom and fun’ →
Most, I note, are harmless ditties about rivers or pretty girls with freckles, but some, by the likes of dissident Karel Kryl, have a distinctly subversive feel – this was a key factor of tramping’s popularity during the communist era.
· Sweden ex-envoy faces verdict in China dissident case →
Judges will give a verdict on Friday in the trial of Sweden's former ambassador to Beijing, accused of overstepping her mandate by trying to negotiate the release of a dissident.
· The Sissi regime is employing hostage-taking to interfere in U.S. justice →
The Post’s View: Another dissident dies in Egypt’s prisons as its dictator jails more
· Hottest front-room seats: the best theatre and dance to watch online →
Debut playwright Gerry Moynihan’s 2017 modern-day production Continuity, starring Paul Kennedy as a dissident Irish Republican, is online until the end of the year.
The China Post
· Chechen leader blames foreign spies for slaying his critics →
That same month, another Chechen dissident, Tumso Abdurakhmanov, was attacked in Sweden.
· Kadyrov blames Austria murder on foreign secret services →
Austrian police have arrested two Russians from Chechnya over the fatal shooting of a Chechen dissident on Saturday in the northern city of Linz.
· Nepal's communist party seems headed for split; Oli, Prachanda talks fail to yield positive outcome →
China’s ambassador Hou has recently met with the senior leaders of the NCP including Madhav Nepal, Khanal as hectic negotiations for a power-sharing deal were going on between Oli and the dissident group led by Prachanda.
· Australia's response to Hong Kong mixes compassion and self-interest →
He has followed Canada in suspending our extradition treaty with Hong Kong since its continued operation could have allowed Hong Kong dissidents to be deported from Australia on trumped-up charges under the new security law.