“Elite” in the news
Publications and example sentences
The New York Times
· Washington Braces for Another Night of George Floyd Protests →
“I was called at two o’clock in the morning and again this morning,” said Bryant Woltz, a glass contractor boarding up the Bombay Club, ordinarily the scene of power lunches between politicians and the media elite.
· English Football League agree Championship restart date →
In a statement, the EFL said: “Following Saturday’s announcement by the government to allow elite sporting events to return behind closed doors, the EFL has this weekend agreed to a provisional restart date of the weekend of 20 June 2020 for matches in the Sky Bet Championship.
· Silverstone: F1 races given go-ahead by UK government →
F1 sources say people involved in elite sports events will be exempt from a requirement on international travellers to self-isolate for 14 days.
· Championship season set to resume on 20 June with play-off final at end of July →
“Following Saturday’s announcement by the Government to allow elite sporting events to return behind closed doors, the EFL has this weekend agreed to a provisional restart date of the weekend of 20 June 2020 for matches in the Sky Bet Championship,” an official statement said.
· Atalanta coach Gasperini reveals he had coronavirus at Valencia game →
More than 40,000 fans travelled the 60km to Milan, joining in celebrations for a historic 4-1 result, in the club's first elite European campaign.
· ECB to seek guidance about cricket’s return from coronavirus pandemic →
The Government’s approval of stage three of the return to elite sport, which is set to start at Newcastle Racecourse on Monday, came only two days after the ECB pushed back the start of the domestic season until August 1, stating it was hopeful of seeing both domestic and recreational cricket this year.
· Tyrone Mings says Premier League return is driven by money →
There were no positive results in the most recent round of tests at Premier League clubs and the UK government says elite sport can return behind closed doors from Monday.
· Arjuna Award: Vinesh Phogat to be nominated for Khel Ratna, Sakshi Malik applies for contention →
Recently she lost twice to young grappler Sonam Malik, who stopped the elite athlete from making the cut even for the Asian Olympic Qualifiers.
· ECB welcome British government advice over restart →
The Government's approval of stage three of the return to elite sport came only two days after the ECB pushed back the start of the domestic season until August 1.