“Fire” in the news
|destroyed by fire|
Publications and example sentences
· NYC officials call for police probe of white woman's 911 call on black man in Central Park →
It sparked accusations of racism and led to Amy Cooper's getting fired from her finance job.
· ACLU sues facial recognition firm Clearview AI, calling it a ‘nightmare scenario’ for privacy →
“Adding fuel to the fire, Clearview sells access to a smartphone app that allows its customers — and even those using the app on a trial basis — to upload a photo of an unknown person and instantaneously receive a set of matching photos.”
· Violent protests rock Minneapolis for second straight night →
Minneapolis: Violent protests over the death of a black man in police custody rocked a Minneapolis neighbourhood for a second straight night as angry crowds looted shops, set fires and left a path of damage that stretched for kilometres.
The New York Times
· Amy Cooper and Christian Cooper: A Confrontation in the Park →
Re “White Woman Fired After Calling Police on Black Man in Central Park” (news article, May 27):
· As Kansas Republicans squabble in Senate primary, Democrat pitches herself a 'sensible centrist' →
While Biden applauded the Minneapolis mayor’s decision to fire the officers involved in Floyd’s arrest, he said the move wasn’t enough and that an investigation by the FBI and DOJ is necessary to “ensure that the Floyd family received the justice they are entitled to.”
· When Nottingham Forest retained the European Cup 40 years ago →
After playing a one-two with Birtles, who assisted while laying on the ground, Robertson took the ball away from Keegan and fired home from the edge of the box.
· NYC investigates white woman who called police on black man in Central Park →
On Tuesday morning, the investment management company Franklin Templeton fired Amy Cooper after an internal review of the video.
· ‘A murderer lives here': Grafitti scrawled outside home of white police officer who knelt on neck of George Floyd →
When video of Mr Floyd's death surfaced and began to spread online, the four police officers involved were fired and protests against police brutality began to flare up around Minneapolis.
· Wisconsin reports record number of new coronavirus cases, deaths →
Johnson has faced mounting public pressure to fire Dominic Cummings, who drove from London to Durham, in the north of England, at the height of the lockdown despite his wife suffering coronavirus symptoms.
· ‘Countless lives’ saved by Kansas soldier who ran over active shooter on bridge →
“I heard like nine or 10 shots up there, by then there was rapid fire,” Charlie Jordan told the broadcaster.