· 'Race against time' in Japan floods, 50 feared dead →
More than 40,000 personnel, including police and firefighters as well as coast guards and troops, were deployed to rescue people, with around a dozen still unaccounted for.
· Damage bill for 'targeted' Sydney barber shop fire put at $500k →
Firefighters got the blaze under control within 30 minutes and the fire was extinguished just before 4am.
· Camilla heartbreak: Duchess of Cornwall issues worrying advice over second wave outbreak →
For her first solo visit since the start of lockdown, the Duchess met firefighters, medical staff and paramedics at the Swindon fire station.
· Eight rescued from stranded vehicles after water main bursts on London road →
Firefighters helped motorists stuck on the North Circular road near Brent Cross after a water main burst on the road.
· Keir Starmer to sign up for unconscious bias training amid criticism →
Sriskanthan, a climate activist, and Andrew Scattergood, a firefighter, were elected over the weekend to lead the grassroots movement, jointly taking on the role previously held by Jon Lansman.
· Rory thought he was healthy, then suddenly he was about to die →
Living in Gippsland, this year his friends and family had dealt with droughts, landslides, the impact of COVID-19 on tourism as well as the Gippsland bushfires - which Rory fought as a CFA firefighter.
· Cradle Fund: First murder accused did not deem it necessary to inform family regarding Nazrin’s death, says witness →
There were also civilians near the police, besides firefighters from the Damansara Fire Station.
· Unbundling the Police in Venice Beach, California →
Like the police, but also like lifeguards and firefighters and paramedics, these helpers would be obligated to assist in fraught situations, especially involving mental illness and people living on the streets.