· World shares mixed as investors watch talks on US stimulus →
Stocks were mixed in Europe and Asia on Thursday as investors watched to see if lawmakers will come ahead with fresh stimulus for a U.S. economy struggling with shutdowns as new coronavirus outbreaks flare.
· Why Senate Republicans are split on the next stimulus bill →
“I think the two are sort of inextricably linked.” And if the trend of new coronavirus hot spots flaring up and continuing to depress the economy — or if Congress can’t pass more economic relief to save people from evictions or losing their homes — lingers, that doesn’t bode well for the party in power.
· COVID-19: Most foreign workers to be able to return to work by end-August, says Lawrence Wong →
“Just because we are we have COVID-cleared dormitories doesn't mean that we should assume these are permanently COVID-safe dormitories because we all know that the virus can flare up again.”
The New Republic
· What I Learned From the Worst Novelist in the English Language →
…a characteristic of our society that become rampant during the Civil War and has flared up repeatedly since then—as evidenced by the Age of the Robber Barons and the excesses of speculation during the 1920s … But those shameful episodes of our history pale beside the excesses of today, dramatized by the recent Enron scandal which a former vice president of that infamous corporation attributed to the ‘greed that was at the heart of its corporate culture,’ a greed seen especially in the notorious limited partnerships, set up in various Caribbean islands, in which those in corporate hierarchy made such killings as $2 million in two months by two partners on an investment of $2500 and $4.5 million by another on his investment of $25,000 in the same sixty-day period.”
· Asian shares mixed as investors watch talks on U.S. stimulus →
Stocks were mixed in Asia on Thursday as investors watched to see if lawmakers will come ahead with fresh stimulus for a U.S. economy struggling with shutdowns as new coronavirus outbreaks flare.
The China Post
· Dobnak shines in homecoming, Twins top reeling Pirates 5-2 →
Williams allowed just one run, a flare to left field by Gonzalez in the second that scored Jake Cave.
· Chief: Violent Portland protests detract from message →
Demonstrators tossed fireworks, flares, rocks, ball bearings and bottles at the federal agents and used power tools to try to bring down a fence protecting the courthouse.
· FTSE 100 LIVE: Pound to plummet this year if EU pushes 'bare bones' post-Brexit deal →
US private employers hired far fewer workers than expected in July as companies exhausted loans to help with wages and new COVID-19 infections flared up across the country, supporting the view that the nascent economic recovery was faltering.
· The areas outside of lockdown suffering high coronavirus rates →
But new statistics appeared to show the city of Preston suffer a coronavirus flare up.
· Police looking at 'every legal option' to stop Story Bridge protest →
The situation around the hotel flared up in June after some of the men were relocated to the higher-security Brisbane Immigration Transit Accommodation site at Pinkenba.