“Hashtag” in the news
Publications and example sentences
· Malaysia's 2020 lockdown and the massive outburst of Raya songs →
Bayu excelled with Kita Raya Kita (a reference to the self-care hashtag #KitaJagaKita during the pandemic), while Singapore's Zalelo and Izat Ibrahim conveyed the wish to not be alone during Raya over lo-fi guitar and beats (Berteman Di Hari Raya).
· Billie Eilish is absolutely fed up with people saying 'All Lives Matter' →
Eilish concluded her four-photo statement with the hashtag #justiceforgeorgefloyd, and her words left quite an impression on followers.
The New York Times
· Coronavirus, Racism and Injustice: No One Is Coming to Save Us →
These names are hashtags, elegies, battle cries.
· Nike urges people to stand against racism in striking new ad →
The newest ad was also shared alongside the hashtag, #UntilWeAllWin, which is Nike's call for equality.
· Israel police kill Palestinian they mistakenly thought was armed →
Erekat added the hashtags #PalestineWillBeFree and #ICantBreath - a reference to African-American man George Floyd whose death while a policeman kneeled on his neck has sparked riots in the United States.
· Starbucks Flamingo Frappuccino is the latest drink trend to take over Instagram →
While this marks the first time the drink will be available in the UK, Instagram posts with the hashtag #FlamingoFrappuccino show that a similarly vibrant beverage has been available at Starbucks branches in other countries, such as Peru, for some time.
The China Post
· In unusual move, US embassies in Africa speak up on Floyd →
Now the Africa-facing version of the state-run China Daily newspaper is tweeting footage from Minneapolis with the hashtags #GeorgeFloydWasMurdered and #BlackLivesMatter.
· Fitness lobby pressures politicians over 'totally illogical' gym closures →
From Monday it will help kick off a major campaign, calling for trainers and gym lovers to take to social media with the hashtags #exerciseismedicine and #gymsaresafe.
The Japan Times
· Public begins to wake up to sheer volume of harassment online →
A tweet the artist posted following news of Kimura’s death started to generate its own criticism, which then inspired a hashtag of its own from those who offered support.