“Heatwave” in the news
Publications and example sentences
· Call of the wild: listen up, people, time is running out →
We have polluted the oceans, shrunk the Arctic and Antarctic summer ice, caused droughts, heatwaves, desertification, fires, floodings and storms, along with water and food shortages, on an unprecedented scale.
· Coal India share price up 10% in 5 days; a stock to bet on as India's power demand gets back on track? →
A heatwave spreading across north India and the steady resumption of economic activity has caused a sharp spike in the country’s energy consumption, with this Coal India’s share price has also surged 10% in the last five days.
· UN climate talks pushed back to November 2021 due to coronavirus →
Last week, South Asia's first super cyclone in two decades ravaged eastern India, including Kolkata, while northern India was hit by searing heatwaves and locust swarms linked to climate change.
· Montreal breaks May temperature record as heatwave grips Canada →
Temperatures in Montreal on Wednesday reached an all-time high for the month of May as a heatwave swept through parts of Canada, Environment Canada said.
· COP26 climate talks set to be pushed back a year →
Last week, south Asia's first super cyclone in two decades ravaged eastern India, including Kolkata, while northern India was hit by searing heatwaves and locust swarms linked to climate change.
· Softening the blow: Climate adaptation policies are needed more than ever →
A heatwave in 2019 is estimated to have killed 1,500.
· UK weather: Blue skies and warm weather continue as Britain on track for driest May on record →
Temperatures could reach 26C or 27C next week although the Met Office says the threshold for a UK-wide heatwave is unlikely to be met.
· The 'old normal' wasn't good enough. It's time for a green economy →
The threat posed by the climate and nature crises are greater than anything we have witnessed in these past grim months and we are already feeling the effects, from the heatwaves and wildfires across the globe to the cyclone that devastated parts of India and Bangladesh just this week.
· Severe heatwave in India: What makes this heatwave unusual? Causes, duration explained →
Severe heatwave in India: It has been five days since the mercury within the thermometers has been on the rise in the country.
· Respite from high temperatures! Scorching heat waves to recede from North India today, details inside →
For perspective, heatwaves are caused if the maximum temperature of an area is 4-5 degrees higher than what it should be.