“Iconic” in the news
Publications and example sentences
· The great writer of dread, Shirley Jackson, finally gets a movie that befits her legacy →
Directed by Josephine Decker (Madeline’s Madeline), Shirley stars Elisabeth Moss as Jackson, who in the film is newly famous following the publication of “The Lottery.” (Aside from earning a spot as an iconic work of American short fiction, the story also holds the distinction of generating more reader mail than any work of fiction the New Yorker has ever published.)
· Spike Lee: send us your questions for the director of Do the Right Thing and Malcolm X →
Rather than, as planned, serving as the first black president of the Cannes jury in mid-May, Lee made an ode to his home town, New York, showing iconic sights, completed deserted.
· Yankees' 1961, 1998 Teams Eliminated Early in MLB Dream Bracket 2 →
As it turns out, however, both iconic teams fell short against equally historic competition.
· ASI monuments to reopen: Govt preparing SOPs and guidelines; Check details →
Take the example of India’s most visited monument of love – the iconic Taj Mahal, which garners around six lakh visitors a day.
· 'Shirley' goes sexy and shocking with life of a gothic horror icon →
Based on Susan Scarf Merrell’s novel of the same name, Shirley takes a fresh look at the legendary writer behind iconic horror stories like The Lottery, The Haunting of Hill House, and We Have Always Lived in the Castle.
The New York Times
· 10 Great Movies on HBO Max →
But the tab does include Tim Burton’s Batman films, last year’s Oscar-winning “Joker” origin story, and Patty Jenkins’s smash 2017 big-screen take on the iconic superheroine, with Gal Gadot charismatically deflecting bullets and swinging her Lasso of Truth as the Amazonian princess who saves humanity from evil during World War I.
· Rising tide of anger against beach box revamp →
Beach boxes are an iconic part of Port Phillip Bay.
· England 2-0 Scotland: What was it like to be on the receiving end of Gazza's genius? →
It's an iconic goal that can only be scored by a brilliant player.
· Minecraft spin-off a dungeon-crawling loot-fest for all ages →
Providing a simple yet satisfying family-friendly take on the Diablo-style hack-and-slash role-playing game, Minecraft Dungeons is a fun adaptation of the series' iconic blocky creatures and graphics to a totally different genre, even if it features absolutely no mining or crafting.
· Isolation and contemplation: Nadav Kander's visual response to coronavirus →
The ability to move us beyond cliche is a characteristic photographers shortlisted for the Prix Pictet share, and it is important as we grapple with the reality of the world as we emerge from the Covid-19 crisis.The global lockdown has birthed new cliches; wildlife cautiously exploring the unpeopled streets, or iconic monuments devoid of tourists, ignored save the occasional solitary individual escaping their confinement.