“Inequality” in the news
Publications and example sentences
· Candlelight vigil held for George Floyd in Mexico City →
Patrick Mahomes, Saquon Barkley and Michael Thomas are among more than a dozen NFL stars who united to send a passionate video message to the league about racial inequality.
The New York Times
· Live Updates on George Floyd Protests: A National Push for Sweeping Reforms →
A new jobs report is expected to show one in five Americans out of work and reflect deep social inequality.
· Joe Biden says ‘10-15 per cent’ of Americans ‘not very good people’ →
Mr Biden’s remarks come as the US is roiled by the largest protests over racial inequality in a generation, fired up by the death of George Floyd at the knee of a white police officer, the shooting of Breonna Taylor in her apartment by a police officer, and the killing of unarmed Ahmaud Arbery by two white neighbours.
The China Post
· Protesters rally for black lives, remind Australia of past →
CANBERRA, Australia (AP) — Thousands gathered in Australia’s capital on Friday to remind Australians that the racial inequality underscored by George Floyd’s death was not unique to the United States.
The New York Times
· Research Shows Students Falling Months Behind During Virus Disruptions →
For protesters flooding the nation’s streets in response to the death of George Floyd, a black man killed while Minneapolis police officers arrested him, the idea that school budgets could face greater cuts than police budgets as cities deal with the economic impact of the pandemic has emerged as a major concern, and yet more evidence of racial inequality.
· In calling out F1's silence over injustice, Lewis Hamilton is out in front once more →
Given the wide array of sports figures that have engaged in the broader conversation around racial inequality since Floyd’s brutal murder, from Michael Jordan to Tiger Woods, doubtless some will be seduced into thinking that Hamilton is just hopping on the bandwagon – or worse: doing it for clout.
· ‘I cannot stand it’: family of Louisville man shot dead by police speak out →
It’s a part of town where the inequality and damage done by redlining is apparent.
· Introducing The Global X Emerging Markets Bond ETF →
At a more domestic level, rising inequality, increasing health care costs, and efforts to automate low-skilled tasks could trigger greater political uncertainty.
· Ellie Goulding says she’s ‘ashamed she didn’t listen more’ in wake of Black Lives Matter protests →
Goulding adding: “This is not an ‘American issue’ this is confronting the disease of systemic racism and inequality that still exists all over the world.