“Inmate” in the news
Idioms and phrases →
Publications and example sentences
· Into Resuming Federal Executions →
But Attorney General Bill Barr announced last month that four inmates would be scheduled for execution in rapid succession starting next week.
· Live updates: U.S. reports record-high average of new coronavirus cases for 28th day →
Gavin Newsom (D) said Monday that a novel coronavirus outbreak at San Quentin State Prison in the Bay Area is now his “top focus and priority,” promising the release or relocation of nearly 1,000 inmates as infections there soar.
· Oklahoma attorney general convinced of Julius Jones’ guilt →
OKLAHOMA CITY — An Oklahoma death row inmate whose case has drawn the attention of actors and athletes was convicted because of overwhelming evidence of his guilt, Attorney General Mike Hunter said Monday.
· Hospitalisations jump 50% in California as COVID-19 infections soar →
Farther north, nearly 1,400 inmates at San Quentin State Prison have been sickened by the virus, putting pressure on hospitals in Marin County, where the facility is located, Newsom said.
· US death toll surpasses 130,000; India's cases third-highest in world – as it happened →
Further north, nearly 1,400 inmates at San Quentin state prison have contracted the virus, putting pressure on hospitals in Marin County, where the facility is located, Newsom said.
The New York Times
· 64 Shot, 10 Dead: Spike in Gun Violence Alarms an On-Edge N.Y.C. →
“When you take basically half the population of Rikers Island and put it onto the street and then wonder what’s going on, it’s dumbfounding to me,” the police commissioner, Dermot F. Shea, said during a radio interview on 1010 WINS on Monday, alluding to the number of inmates released from the city’s jails during the pandemic.
· Maxwell moved to New York for Epstein-related sex abuse charges →
Donson, who advises white-collar criminals on what to expect in prison, said the lockup on the Brooklyn waterfront is akin to the federal prison system’s version of a high-rise apartment building — highly secure, with elevators to move inmates from floor-to-floor, air-conditioned cells and limited room for recreation or other activities.
· Chicago's July Fourth weekend ends with 17 dead, 70 wounded →
Brown also lamented a drastic reduction in the number of inmates in the county jail, saying it has left Chicago and other communities at greater risk of violent crime.
· South Dakota man linked to Russian spy sentenced for fraud →
Federal prosecutors resisted the motion, saying the Bureau of Prisons could take appropriate action to screen and protect inmates.
· Ghislaine Maxwell moved to Brooklyn detention centre ahead of bail hearing →
The Brooklyn jail has been in the spotlight in recent weeks following the death of an inmate after correctional officers sprayed him with pepper spray.