“International” in the news
|national and international|
Publications and example sentences
· We need a name for the greatest economic crisis in a century →
At its spring meetings in April - held virtually this year - the International Monetary Fund used that phrase to summarise how the world economy had been upended.
· China’s move to rein in Hong Kong is just the start →
It took into account the risks of international umbrage and reached the reasonable assumption that there would not be a significant geopolitical price to pay.
· Coronavirus updates LIVE: Pressure mounts on British PM after aide is accused of flouting lockdown rules; four states report no new cases for more than a week →
The international aid group Médecins Sans Frontières has reported a spike in deaths and infections from coronavirus, including health workers at a facility it runs in the city.
The New York Times
· Your Monday Briefing →
“While Mr. Xi is using legislation rather than military force in a territory already under Chinese rule, it is nonetheless a brash move by an autocratic leader willing to risk international condemnation to resist what he views as foreign encroachment on his country’s security.”
· Florida wildlife park introduces Social Distancing Skunk Ape mascot →
How do you enforce social distancing rules in a town divided between two countries with different rules, with one of the most complex international borders in the world?
The New York Times
· 'Out' by Pixar Features Studio’s First Gay Main Character →
Kimberly A. Taylor, an associate professor of marketing and logistics at Florida International University in Miami, said that Disney and Pixar recognize that “representation matters” on the big and small screens.
· The 'risky business' of tracking Rwandan fugitive Felicien Kabuga →
In 1997, the International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda (ICTR), an international court established by the United Nations Security Council to judge people responsible for the genocide, indicted Kabuga on seven criminal charges including genocide.
· People smugglers disembark some 400 migrants near beach in Sicily →
Daily newsletterReceive essential international news every morning