“Lead” in the news
|took the lead|
Publications and example sentences
· Hong Kong to lead Tiananmen mourning despite virus vigil ban →
Hong Kong will Thursday lead global remembrance of China's deadly Tiananmen crackdown, with people lighting candles in neighborhoods across the restless city after authorities banned a mass vigil because of the coronavirus.
· U.S. cinema chain AMC warns it may not survive the pandemic →
Movie theater chain AMC warned Wednesday that it may not survive the coronavirus pandemic, which has shuttered its theaters and led film studios to explore releasing more movies directly to viewers over the internet.
The New York Times
· Historic Wins for Women of Color as Nation Protests Systemic Racism →
And as the coronavirus pandemic upended the election process, with millions of absentee ballots flooding clerks offices and consolidated polling locations leading to hourslong waits in cities across the country, a determined electorate pushed turnout past 2016 levels in nearly all of the eight states that held elections.
· Transcript: Into an American Uprising: Can You Hear Us Now? →
Hannah-jones: I would love to see NBC host a panel of white Americans talking about what they plan to do to address the issues that are leading black folks to be in the streets right now.
· Telemedicine leads on coronavirus innovations →
Telemedicine services have been available for years, but health concerns around the pandemic combined with the fact that most doctor's offices and hospitals were effectively off-limits to non-COVID-19 patients have led millions of Americans to use their smartphone to access remote care for the first time.
· Coronavirus live updates: Australian death in Bali investigated for Covid-19 as Nev Power appears before Senate – latest →
Data it claims to have legitimately obtained from more than a thousand hospitals worldwide formed the basis of scientific articles that have led to changes in Covid-19 treatment policies in Latin American countries.
· Malaria drug fails to prevent COVID-19 in a rigorous study →
Boulware also is leading a study testing hydroxychloroquine for treating COVID-19.
The New York Times
· Gulf of Mexico ‘Dead Zone’ Will Be Large This Summer, Scientists Predict →
Last year’s heavy Midwestern flooding led NOAA to predict the 2019 zone would spread more than 7,800 square miles; the actual figure turned out to be 6,952.
· Penn National Gaming: 100%+ Upside Over 3-5 Years Driven By Barstool Sports Acquisition →
In February 2020, PENN closed its investment in Barstool Sports, a leading digital sports, entertainment and media platform, an agreement in which they purchased approximately 36% of the common stock of Barstool Sports for approximately $163 million.
· Denver police officer fired over 'Let’s start a riot' social media post →
An investigation revealed McClay’s post violated the department’s social media policy and was inconsistent with the values of the department, leading to his termination, the Denver Police Department said.