The New York Times
· John Macurdy, Stalwart Bass in Roles Large and Small, Dies at 91 →
His musicality and vocal gifts were apparent when, as a small boy, he earned a quarter from his German maternal grandfather for singing “O Tannenbaum” beautifully.
· Dakota Johnson says her grandmother Tippi Hedren still keeps lions and tigers →
Johnson’s parents are Melanie Griffith and Don Johnson, while Hedren is her maternal grandmother.
· Taliban leverages coronavirus crisis to burnish its image as violence in Afghanistan surges →
Afghanistan ranks 168th in the world in infant mortality rate, 176th for maternal mortality and 173rd in life expectancy of all citizens, according to the most recently available World Bank data.
The China Post
· Syria bars Assad’s cousin from travel amid financial dispute →
Makhlouf is Assad’s maternal cousin.
· Boris Johnson has refused the nation’s request for a sick note. As a GP, I know how hard that conversation can be →
Or to put it another way, it's similar to the risk of dying for a British woman planning to give birth to two to three children (maternal mortality in the UK 9/100,000).