“Meanwhile” in the news
Publications and example sentences
· Bursa Malaysia rises at mid-morning →
Meanwhile, the FBM 70 decreased 42.32 points to 13,152.88.
· Survey: With Covid-19 under control, Malaysians now worried over unemployment, job safety →
Meanwhile health concerns which were at 15 per cent in March and 16 per cent in April, dropped to 11 per cent in May.
Hong Kong Free Press
· Hong Kong and Minneapolis protesting in solidarity: A grassroots resistance against police violence →
Minneapolis protesters have been chanting “Be Water.” Meanwhile, activists from Hong Kong and the U.S. are now sharing on Twitter footage of Hong Kong protesters putting out teargas with traffic cones on Twitter, alongside guerilla tactics and legal advice that have been proven effective during Hong Kong’s almost year-long protests.
· IHS Markit: Malaysia’s PMI rises sharply in May, indicating economic downturn have bottomed out →
Meanwhile, IHS Market said manufacturing employment in Malaysia was broadly stable during May, with 98 per cent of firms signalling no change in their payrolls.
· Strong sales to drive Mah Sing’s long-term positive outlook →
“Meanwhile, unbilled sales of RM1.69 billion will be progressively recognised over the next three years,” it said in a note today.
· Ringgit higher against US dollar in early session →
Meanwhile, the ringgit was traded mostly higher against a basket of benchmark currencies, except against the British pound, where it declined to 5.3725/3828 from 5.3435/3514.
· Major cultural institutions to reopen in time for school holidays →
Meanwhile, some smaller venues have opened their doors from today.
· S. Korea adds 35 more virus cases; sporadic cluster infections in focus →
The country, meanwhile, added five imported cases and one additional death, raising the total death toll to 271.
· From the Archives, 1953: Queen Elizabeth is crowned →
Meanwhile, early train and bus services carried thousands more people toward the processional route.
· COVID-19: What are the public health rules now? →
Meanwhile, restaurants, clubs and bars, beauty parlours, masseuses, indoor religious gatherings, libraries, museums and outdoor sports training are allowed to open with a two-hour limit and strict social distancing.