“Oppose” in the news
|continued to oppose|
|did not oppose|
Publications and example sentences
· Princess Nokia's lockdown listening: 'Performing is always a little unnatural' →
I’ve been listening to a lot of music from back in the day as opposed to new music.
The New York Times
· In George Floyd’s Death, a Police Technique Results in a Too-Familiar Tragedy →
opposed the technique.
· 'No cards left': Hong Kong residents sell up and search for way out as China cements grip →
The move, which would also allow Chinese intelligence to set up agencies in Hong Kong, has however reignited protests in Hong Kong as thousands took to the streets over the past week to oppose the new laws, prompting police to fire pepper pellets in the heart of the city’s financial district to disperse crowds.
The China Post
· Communion ritual unchanged in Orthodox Church despite virus →
For scientists, concern is tempered by knowing that opposing the powerful Orthodox Church, with a majority of Greeks as believers, could be counterproductive.
· Robodebt: government to repay 470,000 unlawful Centrelink debts worth $721m →
Guardian Australia has previously revealed the government was reluctant to pay interest and that the Commonwealth’s legal team was instructed to oppose interest repayments in mediation, which is due to begin next month.
· Non-fiction review: Diary of a Young Naturalist and three others →
It’s a common view that the protest period known as the Arab Spring in 2010/11, which promised so much in opposing dictatorship and demanding self-government, was a failure that, if anything, made things worse.
The Japan Times
· Nissan falls behind rivals in industry’s critical transitional period →
Previously, Renault sought a merger of the two companies, something that was strongly opposed by Nissan.
· Aritzia Inc's (ATZAF) CEO Brian Hill on Q4 2020 Results - Earnings Call Transcript →
and as you think about maybe that permanent shift towards having customers who are buying online as oppose to instore, are you sort of comfortable with the capacity or the throughput that you’re able to pull those distribution centers or are you thinking that there might need to be sort of expansions or something of that like moving forward?
· (5th LD) Replacement interceptor missiles brought onto THAAD base →
SEOUL, May 29 (Yonhap) -- New interceptor missiles were brought onto a U.S. THAAD missile defense base in South Korea on Friday as replacements, the defense ministry said, in a surprise overnight operation aimed at minimizing friction with local residents opposed to the base.
· Final year college exams: HRD Minister's big statement amid lockdown 5 reports →
However, many teachers and students have opposed the idea.