· 'I realised my body was burning': police brutality in Uganda lockdown →
Ugandan activists have been detained while protesting against the lack of food distributions for people in need, while opposition politician Francis Zaake was arrested for handing out food without going through government channels, and says he was tortured in police custody.
· Dominic Cummings creates a very British scandal →
Cummings' continued presence will be a constant reminder of that grievance, a scab that the resurgent opposition Labour Party will pick at gladly.
Hong Kong Free Press
· Hong Kong’s debate on national anthem bill halted after democrat hurls decayed plant →
He said he wanted to protest against what he saw as an abuse of power by Leung, who ordered two opposition lawmakers to leave the meeting earlier.
· Himachal Pradesh: BJP chief Rajeev Bindal resigns amid allegations of corruption and bribery in Health department →
The opposition Congress attacked the BJP, saying corruption is rampant under the Jairam Thakur government.
· Thursday briefing: Test and trace begins →
Crisis in Fiji parliament – Fiji’s politics are in a tailspin again after the suspension of the main opposition party, which has left parliament with just three opposition members on the eve of a major national budget debate.
· Mizoram class 12 board exams 2020 to resume on June 16 →
The MBSE had, earlier, announced the resumption of the board examinations from April 22, which triggered stiff opposition from students citing various inconveniences amid the nationwide lockdown.
· How the free press worldwide is under threat →
A number of countries including Turkey and Egypt have expansive definitions of “terrorism” that allow them to arrest and detain anyone who voices political dissent or opposition, including journalists.
· Coronavirus in Maharashtra: Fresh face-off between MVA and Devendra Fadnavis, govt says no central assistance received →
He said that ministers of the three parties should have sat together and discussed the problems of the people in the last three months but it is unfortunate that they are instead discussing a strategy to counter the revelations made by the opposition BJP.
The China Post
· Failed Maduro coup leader flew on pro-govt magnate’s plane →
Durán’s role and his closeness to top officials have revived allegations floated by opposition leader Juan Guaidó and U.S. officials that he was secretly working on Maduro’s behalf and had co-opted “Operation Gideon,” the name of Goudreau’s foiled plot.
Hong Kong Free Press
· Video: Hong Kong police conduct mass arrests in Mong Kok as clashes continue into night →
The crackdown came as protesters gathered in opposition to the national anthem and national security law.