“Over” in the news
|all over again|
|change over time|
|changed over time|
|took over control|
|took over management|
Publications and example sentences
· Michael White: US Navy veteran detained in Iran for two years en route home →
An Iranian scientist held in the US over a federal trade secrets case was released and deported earlier this week, which was seen by some observers as the start of a prisoner exchange between the two countries.
· UN-backed Libyan forces oust renegade general from Tripoli →
Hailing the GNA’s restoration of control over Tripoli, Mustafa al-Majei, the spokesman for Operation Burkan Al-Ghadab, or Volcano of Rage, said: “Tripoli has been liberated and fully secured, and we have reached the administrative borders of the city of Tarhuna, south-east of the capital”.
· Republican National Convention search expands across Sun Belt →
The Republican National Committee is planning site visits over the next 10 days to more than a half-dozen cities — across the South and into Texas and Arizona — as it scrambles for a new convention host, people familiar with the internal discussions tell Axios.
· Police in Vallejo, Calif., fatally shoot man kneeling outside a Walgreens →
Protests over the in-custody death of George Floyd passed the one-week mark Tuesday with no signs of slowing down.
· Declan Bonner convinced championship will happen and with some some spectators →
The GAA is expected to unveil its roadmap for the return to action over the next few days.
· Newcastle, Sunderland and shows of outright contempt for fans →
You have called on the fans of Newcastle United for support so often over the years and when we called for you to stand by your supporters, you did nothing.” Unsurprisingly, considering the outright contempt in which Newcastle fans are held by the club’s owner, no reply has yet been forthcoming, despite other top-flight clubs having reassured fans that they will be refunded one way or another for games they won’t get to see.
· Kamala Harris: 'The officers who murdered Breonna Taylor nearly three months ago still have not been charged' →
The ninth straight evening of protests over the death of George Floyd in police custody largely passed with calm in many parts of the United States.
The China Post
· Turkey strips 3 legislators of seats, setting off protest →
The move came as tensions in parliament were already running high over a contentious bill that would grant neighborhood watchmen similar powers as the country’s regular police force.
The New York Times
· Iran Frees Navy Veteran Held for Two Years →
“I am blessed to announce that the nightmare is over, and my son is safely on his way home.”
· A Biden presidency would not be good news for Palestine →
Biden in effect has endorsed one of the most incendiary decisions of Trump's presidency, moving the US embassy to the divided city of Jerusalem: endorsing Israeli sovereignty, including over East Jerusalem, which is supposedly reserved for a Palestinian capital.