“Overthrow” in the news
|attempt to overthrow|
|overthrow the government|
|plot to overthrow|
Publications and example sentences
· Marie-Antoinette and lover's censored letters deciphered →
The Austrian-born queen was executed aged just 37 in October 1793 after the overthrow of the monarchy.
· In Pictures: Khartoum protesters mark anniversary of bloody raid →
Following al-Bashir's military overthrow, the sit-in continued as protesters demanded that the generals who overthrew him cede power to civilians.
The New York Times
· Unseen Script Offers New Evidence of a Radical Lorraine Hansberry →
Hansberry told the reporter that she was writing an adaptation of “The Marrow of Tradition,” a long out-of-print novel by Charles W. Chesnutt about a massacre that destroyed black rights gained after the Civil War, based on a rarely acknowledged white supremacist coup that overthrew the multiracial government of Wilmington, N.C., in 1898.
The China Post
· Kosovo lawmakers vote in new center-right prime minister →
By securing the lowest possible number of votes in the 120-seat parliament, Hoti replaces Acting Prime Minister Albin Kurti, whom the LDK party overthrew with a no-confidence vote in late March when it was part of Kurti’s coalition government.
· America’s contradictions are breaking wide open →
Shortly after the president’s Monday photo op, Fox News pundit Tucker Carlson insisted during his nightly program — a favorite of Trump’s — that the American left wants to overthrow the government and rule by brute force; he made that statement barely an hour after Trump himself said he wanted to break historical precedent for use of the American military and, well, rule the country by brute force.
· Armada: MACC arrest meant to ‘silence’ party members from questioning Bersatu top leaders →
Previously several Armada leaders had openly condemned Prime Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yasin for allegedly plotting with Umno leaders to overthrow the Pakatan Harapan government.
· Can Wuhan’s Punk Scene Survive the Coronavirus? →
As Lucas, the guitarist for Wuhan ska/reggae band Sky King Jack, puts it: “Wuhan is the birthplace of the revolution that overthrew China’s thousands year old feudal system.” He then traces that tumultuous history to the present day: “Wuhan people have the characteristics of ‘punk’ deep in their personality.
· Trianon 2020: Investigating Magyarization and Liberal Nationalism →
The Spring of Nations was a mass uprising of liberal and nationalist movements across Europe, with various aims ranging from the overthrow of monarchies, to independence, and to democracy.
The China Post
· Sudan appoints new defense chief amid tensions with Ethiopia →
Sudan is on a fragile path to democracy after a popular uprising led the military to overthrow former president Omar al-Bashir in April last year.
The Japan Times
· Turkey and Russia are at war, and Libya’s the loser →
Our mission was not to overthrow Gadhafi per se.