“Overthrow” in the news
|attempt to overthrow|
|overthrow the government|
|plot to overthrow|
Publications and example sentences
The China Post
· Thousands in Mali’s capital demand that president step down →
Mali has been in turmoil since a 2012 uprising prompted mutinous soldiers to overthrow the president of a decade.
· Libya: The battle for Tripoli explained in 600 words →
But energy interests are not alone in shaping foreign countries' involvement in Libya, which has been mired in turmoil since the overthrow of longtime ruler Muammar Gaddafi in 2011.
· France’s Versailles to re-open Saturday after Covid-19 lockdown ease →
It remained the principle royal residence until the French Revolution and the overthrow of the monarchy nearly eight decades after his death.
· Legendary footballer in China's cross-hairs after 'overthrow' videos →
Hao Haidong faces being scrubbed from the history of Chinese sport after videos emerged showing the retired football star calling for the overthrow of the ruling Communist Party.
The New York Times
· Same-Sex Marriage in Conservative Costa Rica Was Not a Miracle →
When the country went into a brief civil war in 1948, José Figueres, one of the leaders fighting the government, came up with an idea for a permanent peace: abolish the army, so that minorities never overthrow majority-elected governments; limit the powers of the president, so that majorities never impose themselves; strengthen courts and electoral authorities, to ensure compliance, and direct the peace dividend resulting from no wars, no coups, and no military force toward investments in education and health.
· Divided States of America: Tragic events vindicate Kaepernick's stance →
Mrs Tori’s plans to overthrow him are thwarted, as Damo goes back-to-back.
· The Guardian view on Trump and the military: moment of decision →
Sometimes it overthrew tyrannies and made the world safe, as in 1940s Europe.
· Analysis: How Saudi Arabia and Iran became rivals →
After Saddam Hussein was overthrown in 2003, the Iranians wasted no time in making things difficult for the US-led occupation and in cementing its own political influence.
· Three men with ties to right-wing extremism arrested for planning violence at Las Vegas protest, prosecutors say →
According to the complaint, the case began with an informant who met Mr Lynam and Mr Parshall at a reopening rally in April, where an armed Mr Lynam said that his group “was not for joking around”, and that it was “for people who wanted to violently overthrow the United States government”.
· V'landys versus Berejiklian in stadium showdown →
Former Bulldogs chairman Ray Dib has knocked back an approach from certain figures at Belmore to overthrow the faction that ousted him.