“Patron” in the news
|became a patron|
Idioms and phrases →
Publications and example sentences
· Juice WRLD: Legends Never Die review – patron saint of the melancholy masses →
On Bad Energy and Fighting Demons, he sounds like a patron saint of the melancholy masses.
· The Daily 202: Trump’s move to weaken key environmental law could sideline communities of color →
Asked on ‘This Week’ if states with stark increases in cases, like Florida, South Carolina, Arizona, Texas and Georgia, should consider more stringent measures, [Giroir] said ‘everything should be on the table.’ He said closing bars and limiting the number of patrons allowed in restaurants were ‘two measures that really do need to be done.’ … Dr. Adams struck a similar tone … Appearing on ‘Face the Nation,’ Dr. Scott Gottlieb, a former commissioner of the Food and Drug Administration in the Trump administration, said, ‘I think things are going to get worse before they get better.’”
· St Swithin’s Day 2020 date: When is St Swithin’s Day? →
He was made patron saint of Winchester Cathedral about 100 years after his death.
· Zomato to now deliver food from ITC hotels straight to your doorstep →
“Zomato, as an online aggregator, will not only enable ‘contactless’ deliveries on all pre-paid orders, but will also provide patrons of ITC Hotels the option of takeaway menus via this platform,” the company announced in a statement on Monday.
· Four soldiers killed in Azerbaijan-Armenia border clashes →
All-out war between the two countries could drag in regional powers including Armenia's military ally Russia and Azerbaijan's patron Turkey, which compete for geopolitical influence in the strategic region.
· Perseid meteor shower 2020: When is the Perseid meteor shower and when does it peak? →
St Lawrence, the patron saint of cooks, was tortured and martyred by the Romans in AD 258 during the persecution of the emperor Valerian along with many other members of the Roman clergy.
· NSW reintroduces tougher restrictions for pubs following virus outbreak →
Group bookings at pubs will be reduced from 20 people to 10 and large venues will not be allowed to have more than 300 patrons under new COVID-19 rules to be introduced in NSW.
The Japan Times
· Hong Kong reports another record of 41 local COVID-19 cases as wave grows →
After re-opening for less than two months, schools have now been ordered into an “early summer holiday,” while restaurants and bars must limit the number of patrons.
· Theatres that made us: from Stratford-upon-Avon to the Savoy →
No matter how often I told a patron that the spoon for the ice cream was under the lid with a strained smile on my face, I never got bored of the view.
· Last Kingdom explained: Was Cnut based on a real person? →
Even though he was a Viking in many senses, he became a patron of the church and embraced Christianity.