The Japan Times
· Protests flare again in U.S. amid calls to end police violence →
The Minnesota State Patrol tweeted that the driver was apparently trying to provoke protesters and was arrested.
· Mayor Bill de Blasio’s defense of the NYPD’s handling of protests revives old tensions →
Both things can be true: Some protesters became violent, and some cops used inappropriate force and may have provoked protesters.
· Trump responded to the protests by lashing out at antifa, the media, and Democrats →
By many accounts, however, it was police, not protesters or antifa who provoked violence in Minneapolis and other cities.
The New York Times
· Athletes Invoke Colin Kaepernick in Response to George Floyd Protests →
Goodell and other top leadership provoked more debate, not less, in part not only because of the unwillingness of any N.F.L.
The New York Times
· Anti-Lockdown Rebels Don’t Get to Choose Their Own Constitution →
In 1835, after South Carolina’s preposterous claim that it could nullify a federal tariff provoked a national political crisis, Madison offered a series of legitimate remedies for government abuse.
· Global report: fears of coronavirus surge from US protests as world cases hit 6m →
The pandemic has provoked differing approaches from politicians and public health authorities around the world, not only over the response during the period of peak infections but also over how to ease their lockdowns.
· ‘Respect our city’: tension among Detroit protesters as unrest grows after dark →
But Underwood also noted officers in some cases were “rude” and provoked protesters.
· Britain 'could only cope with five cases a week', papers reveal →
Cummings, the campaigner who helped deliver the 2016 Brexit referendum win and Johnson's 2019 election landslide, has been fighting to keep his job this week after his long road trip at the height of the lockdown provoked outrage across Britain.
· Emily Maitlis's 'sin' was being compared with real, deliberate assaults on truth →
The furore provoked by Emily Maitlis, Newsnight’s talented and charismatic lead presenter, and her introduction to the Tuesday night programme spoke to the moment.
· Behind Muhyiddin’s grand scheme of things is Najib, claims ex-deputy minister →
provoking mistrust among leaders and supporters of Pakatan Plus.