“Racism” in the news
Publications and example sentences
· If you're a white person wondering what to do during the George Floyd protests, I have some advice →
Even Amy Cooper, the white woman who called police on a Black man in Central Park after he asked her to keep her dog on a leash, began her unapologetic apology with “I am not a racist.” As Ibram Kendi, author of How to Be An Antiracist said, “Denial is the heartbeat of racism.”
· Biden's VP list narrows and unrest in Minnesota enters discussion →
WASHINGTON — Former Vice President Joe Biden publicly condemned the “horrific killing” of George Floyd, which he says serves as a reminder to all Americans that racism still courses deeply through the country’s bloodstream.
The China Post
· War hero McRaven tells MIT grads they’re the ‘real heroes’ →
William McRaven, the retired U.S. Navy admiral who directed the raid that killed Osama bin Laden, told members of MIT’s graduating class Friday that they are the “real heroes” who will save the world from pandemics, war, climate change, poverty and racism.
· “We’re a country with an open wound”: Joe Biden condemns the police killing of George Floyd →
The presumptive Democratic nominee called for every American to grapple with the country’s systemic racism.
The New York Times
· Watch Joe Biden’s Remarks on the Death of George Floyd →
Leadership that will bring everyone to the table so we can take measures to root out systemic racism.
· I could be the next George Floyd. If you're not working to change that, you're an arsonist too →
The New York Times
· Emma Amos, Painter Who Challenged Racism and Sexism, Dies at 83 →
She soon joined other feminist groups, including Guerrilla Girls, a collective whose anonymous members appear in public wearing gorilla masks to deliver scathing critiques of art-world racism and sexism.
· Derek Chauvin faces up to 25 years in prison if convicted of third-degree murder →
After stoking the fires of white supremacy and racism your entire presidency, you have the nerve to feign moral superiority before threatening violence?
· What we know about Covid-19’s impact on black Minnesotans →
The point is, the disparities in Covid-19’s impact are in many ways the byproduct of America’s structural racism — just like the deaths of George Floyd in Minneapolis, and Ahmaud Arbery in Georgia, and other black people who have died at the hands of white law enforcement officers or civilians.
· Taylor Swift praised by Alyssa Milano, Ben Platt and more for speaking out against Donald Trump →
“After stoking the fires of white supremacy and racism your entire presidency, you have the nerve to feign moral superiority before threatening violence?” the singer tweeted on Friday.