“Scam” in the news
Publications and example sentences
· Germany charges Audi ex-board members over ‘dieselgate’ →
FRANKFURT, Aug 6 — German prosecutors said today they have filed fraud charges against three former board members at Audi and a retired senior employee from the automobile company over the “dieselgate” scam.
· Twitter urges Android users to update after breach gives hackers access to private messages →
This news comes as Twitter is reeling off one of the most dangerous hacks in its history, as the accounts of many prominent figures including Bill Gates, Joe Biden, Kanye West, Jeff Bezos and others were hacked to promote a Bitcoin cryptocurrency scam.
· Weeks after the big hack, Twitter reveals a security bug left Android users’ direct messages vulnerable →
The news is significant despite the bug being fixed, because it comes on the heels of a major Twitter security breach in which hackers gained access to an internal “admin” tool and took control of the accounts of several known celebrities, like former US President Barack Obama, Microsoft Founder Bill Gates and Tech entrepreneur Elon Musk, to run a cryptocurrency scam.
· Car insurance scam: Fraudsters are intent on ‘cashing in’ crash for cash claims →
READ MORE: Car insurance: Drivers could be hit by ‘hide and crash’ scam
· Commercial fraud: RM23.3m losses recorded in Perak since January →
Perak Deputy Police Chief Datuk Goh Boon Keng said the number of cases had increased by 13 compared to the same period last year, which also involved crimes such as online scam, non-existent money lending and Love Scam.
· Council letter scam offers hefty electricity bill grants to Brisbane residents →
However, she posted a picture of the scam letter on her Facebook page on Thursday, warning fellow greater Brisbane residents to not call the mobile number.
· Rajasthan: Relief for Gajendra Singh Shekhawat in cooperative society scam, HC stays ADJ court order for probe by SOG →
Providing relief to union minister Gajendra Singh Shekhawat in a cooperative society scam case, the Rajasthan high court on Wednesday stayed the ADJ court order that directed the magistrate court to send a criminal complaint for further investigation to the Special Operations Group (SOG).
· Honest worker 'depressed and suspended' over con artist sisters →
An honest worker told how his mental health plummeted and he was almost fired after three con artist sisters scammed cash from north west businesses.
· Indian national sentenced for role in defrauding hundreds of people →
Individuals should not have to be worried about being scammed when trying to complete basic, and essential, financial tasks,” Terwilliger said.
· Teenagers arrested over Carousell scams involving sale of computer parts and gaming PCs →
For more information on scams, members of the public can visit scamalert.sg or call the anti-scam hotline at 1800-722 6688.