“Senator” in the news
Idioms and phrases →
Publications and example sentences
· Trump deployed ‘secret police’ to Portland to provoke violence for campaign ads, Oregon senator says →
Donald Trump deployed federal officers into Portland, Oregon to “create images of chaos” on which he relies for campaign ads and in speeches, Oregon senator Ron Wyden has argued.
The New York Times
· The Many Varieties of Donald Trump →
At the same time that he lambastes Democratic opposition to the nomination of Brett Kavanaugh to the Supreme Court, he breezes over Senator Mitch McConnell’s refusal to consider President Obama’s Supreme Court nominee Merrick Garland.
· Val Demings: Remember Senate Republicans who dismissed Trump’s wrongdoing — and show them the door →
This November, voters have a remarkable opportunity to prove they have a stronger moral compass than those senators ― and show them the door.
· Kodak’s $765 Million U.S. Loan Prompts Probe by House Democrats →
Democratic Senator Elizabeth Warren also called for the Securities and Exchange Commission to investigate possible insider trading and disclosure violations tied to Kodak’s announcement.
The New York Times
· Another Inspector General Resigns, Raising Questions About Pompeo →
Senator Bob Menendez of New Jersey, the lead Democrat on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, expressed concern upon hearing of Mr. Akard’s resignation.
· Money Stuff: Public Markets Don’t Matter Like They Used To →
Senator Elizabeth Warren wants U.S. regulators to examine possible insider trading and disclosure violations involving Eastman Kodak Co. after the former film company’s shares soared when it announced a surprise foray into generic drugs with help from a $765 million government loan.
· Sally Yates, Defending DOJ, Says Michael Flynn Talks 'Neutered' U.S. Russia Policy →
Wednesday's hearing is the second in a series chaired by Senator Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., who is digging into actions by the Obama administration in its waning months.
· Grassley, Warner keep up pressure for information in Park Police slaying of Bijan Ghaisar; Fairfax police join case →
But the senators said they still have not been told why the officers fired 10 shots into Ghaisar’s Jeep Cherokee while he was slowly driving away from them.
· Surveillance: Stimulus Bets With Lew (Podcast) →
Senator Bill Cassidy, Republican from Louisiana, says Dr. Fauci's positions on lockdown measures are evolving as we understand the scope of the pandemic.
· WNBA players are so livid at Sen. Kelly Loeffler, a team owner, they’re backing her opponent →
WNBA players are stepping up their opposition to Atlanta Dream owner Kelly Loeffler, a U.S. senator, by wearing “Vote Warnock” T-shirts this week to show support for the Rev.