“Separatist” in the news
Publications and example sentences
The New York Times
· Coronavirus Slams Broken, Embattled Yemen →
In Aden, which served as the interim seat of Yemen’s internationally recognized government until a separatist group seized it last month, burial data showed that 950 people had died in the city in the first 17 days of this month, more than triple the 306 recorded for all of May 2019, according to an analysis by Abdullah Bin Ghouth, an epidemiology professor at Hadramout Universitywho advises the minister of health in Aden.
The China Post
· Protest in Hong Kong over China move to pass security law →
Details of the final version of the law aren’t known, but China says it will prohibit separatist activities and actions that might threaten the Communist Party’s monopoly on political power in mainland China.
· Chinese general threatens attack on Taiwan to stop independence →
China is deeply suspicious of Tsai, whom it accuses of being a separatist bent on declaring formal independence.
· Attack on Taiwan an option to stop independence, top China general says →
“If the possibility for peaceful reunification is lost, the people's armed forces will, with the whole nation, including the people of Taiwan, take all necessary steps to resolutely smash any separatist plots or actions,” Li said.
· China says non-peaceful action on Taiwan is last resort →
China believes Taiwan President Tsai Ing-wen is a separatist bent on independence.
The China Post
· Kosovo’s caretaker governing party holds peaceful rally →
Kosovo was part of Serbia until an armed separatist uprising in 1998-1999 triggered a bloody Serb crackdown.
· Taiwan eyes further US arms purchases with new anti-ship missile →
Beijing believes Taiwan President Tsai Ing-wen is a separatist bent on declaring the island's formal independence.