“Severe” in the news
Publications and example sentences
· Japan set to lift coronavirus emergency as cases slow →
Although the human toll has been less severe than in other parts of the world, the economy -- already struggling from the effects of natural disasters and a consumption tax hike -- has suffered.
The China Post
· Virus strands Norway racer in Alaska after Iditarod win →
For some, especially older adults and people with existing health problems, it can cause more severe illness, including pneumonia, and death.
· South African president says lockdown to ease from June 1 →
Africa's most industrialised economy has been largely shut down since late March, when the government enforced severe restrictions to stem the spread of the novel coronavirus which has so far infected 22,583 people and killed 429.
· Spain lifts Covid-19 lockdown measures in Madrid and Barcelona and reopens beaches →
The lockdown, in force since mid-March, has been among the most severe in the world.
· Fire season extends by almost four months in parts of Australia →
The first two decades of this century already stand out as warmer than any previous period, increasing the odds of extreme weather, including more severe bushfires.
· COVID-19: US to provide USD 6 million to Pakistan to fight coronavirus →
US ambassador to Pakistan, Paul Jones, in a video message said that the aid money will strengthen Pakistan’s response by expanding training for healthcare workers who take care of patients in hospitals with severe cases of coronavirus; preventing the spread of coronavirus in healthcare facilities and providing a fourth mobile lab to test and treat Pakistanis living in virus hotspots.
· Mascot Towers owners flag interest in sale of entire building →
Owners had to vote by last Wednesday on a motion to allow the owners corporation to look at options for the 132-unit block in Sydney's south, almost a year after they were evacuated due to severe cracking in its main support structure.
· US coronavirus response fatally 'chaotic,' says Noam Chomsky →
Europe in many ways is worse, because the austerity programmes just amplify the danger, because of the severe attack on democracy in Europe, the shifting decisions to Brussels....
· A world redrawn: US coronavirus response fatally 'chaotic,' says Noam Chomsky →
Europe in many ways is worse, because the austerity programs just amplify the danger, because of the severe attack on democracy in Europe, the shifting decisions to Brussels....